Cold Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slight

Reaction score
I don'
t have a spare fridge to store my recently racked ale so I've put it in the back shed where the temp is around 10-12 degrees.

Is this too warm for cold conditioning? I've read it's best to keep it as close to zero as possible.

I'm going to put the fermenter in a large plastic box filled with ice to try and cool it further.

IMO 10-12C is fine for an ale. As close as 0C as possible for a lager.

Agreed. Cold-conditioning Ales only helps clarify the beer, doesn't improve flavour that much.

Depends a bit on the yeast for me. One of my favourites is 1275 Thames Valley which consistently brews with a bit of a sulphury odour. I like to condition those beers in a container where gas gets out for a while rather than trap everything ina bottle.

Old thread.. similar questions! :eek:
ive had an ESB bavarian wheat in secondary for just over a week (kept at 18-20degC rotating ice in a non powered fridge)
i cant get hold of space in my fridge to CC for another coupla days. :(
so i'm attemting to get CC temps in the unpowered fridge... i'm getting down to around 9degC, which is better than nothing i spose.
taking on board the answers from above.

would it still be beneficial to get the cube into the fridge at 3-4degc for a coupla days.. or is there really no need...??? :blink:

ps. using safale K97

Latest posts

Back