Cold Conditioning In The Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3taL

Reaction score
So i'm upto brew no.4

have got my fermenting fridge all setup and find it very easy to keep at 18-20c, theres also room for about 20 bottles in there as well that i'm leaving in there for carbonation time. these kit brews carb up quick quickly at that temp..

I then move them upto the freezer section where they tend to get down to about 1-2 c and stay pretty cool (iv just put a themometer in a stubby full of water in there to get a rough idea on temps...

I'm wondering if this is as good as cold conditioning before bottleing, they carb up and clear out very quickly and iv noticed that some of the beers iv had up in the freezer section taste better than the ones that have stayed at 18-20c all the time.

Also iv noticed that i only end up with about 3mm of trub in the bottom of the bottles and it stays put and i can pour all the beer off quite easily. no troubles with trub... but i am guessing this is mainly to do with being kit brews....

I'm wondering if this is as good as cold conditioning before bottleing, they carb up and clear out very quickly and iv noticed that some of the beers iv had up in the freezer section taste better than the ones that have stayed at 18-20c all the time.

Also iv noticed that i only end up with about 3mm of trub in the bottom of the bottles and it stays put and i can pour all the beer off quite easily. no troubles with trub... but i am guessing this is mainly to do with being kit brews....

Your beer will condition at those temps, but it is not quite the same a CC before bottling. It will also take longer to condition/clear in smaller volumes. You will get some benefit from keeping them cold, instead of storing at room temps, which is mainly due to the stable temperatures and the cold which slows down processes like oxidation etc.

As for the sediment, I bottle and don't add any finings at any point during my brewing process and have about 2-3mm of sediment in the bottles. Any more than that I'd be looking at reducing it, but if it were me I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers,

JD

Latest posts

Back