Cold Conditioning In Plastic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What sort of container do you use for cold conditioning/lagering?

• Glass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HDPE (plastic fermenter or cube)

• Stainless steel

• Plastic for < 2 weeks but always non-plastic (eg glass) if > 2weeks

• Plastic for < 6 weeks but always non-plastic (eg glass) if > 6 weeks

• Other (pleaze explain?)

• Total voters

deebee

The Bludgeon Brewery
Reaction score
I have only ever conditioned in plastic, but I have a brewing frig now and am facing the prospect of lagering my first proper lager for a month or more. I'm just interested in whether AHB brewers pay much attention to the warnings of oxidation with long term storage in plastic.

What do you use for cold conditioning and lagering?

deebee, I use food grade plastic containers.
Have CC'ed and lagered in them for up to 6 weeks. No problems as far as I can tell.

C&B
TDA

Deebee,

I've always lagered in my fridge, generally for 4-6 weeks in my plastic fermenters. So far so good.

Shawn.

Backlane Brewery said:
dee bee, did you have a look at this thread from a couple of weeks back?
A bit inconclusive but a lot of ideas & info.
[post="45550"][/post]​

Yeah I saw that thread and, like you say, it's not very conclusive. Some of the tech specs scared me a little too.

Having general faith in the abilities of you mob to brew a decent beer, I wanted to put it to a poll and see what the actual practices of AHB brewers are. Besides, I love a poll.

plastic cubes for me deebee.no probs to date and ive been doing this for a few years now.
would love a large glass carboy but would probably get smashed on the journey to me so will wait until i move down south to buy one.

cheers
big d

Back