Cold Brew Oatmeal Stout (Latte stout?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArgM

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing a cold brewed coffee Stout, I have another post about the coffee side, but was wondering if I could get some feedback
recipe side. I'm aiming for it to be a velvet mouth feel, chocolate and caramel in the malt and finish on the coffee note,

Here's the recipe I'm thinking, it's my first time writing a recipe so I have no clue on basic's but have used usual ratios noted from other recipes etc

Brewing method: Cheap student 19l big w BIAB
Yield - 12L

1,5kg - Pale Ale
0.5kg - Chocolate
0.25kg - Crystal 140l
0.25kg - Caramel 60l
0.2kg - Rolled Oats (toasted slightly)

Mash at 68'c for 90 mins
Boil for 60
Hops - Target (will work out amount later, but not much if at all) @60
Additional: Small stick of cinnamon + vanilla (will work this out by eye) @20
Roughly 200g Yirgacheffe coffee (I think in about 500ml of water, agitated infrequently in the fridge for 24hours) 1 day after pitching yeast
Then again according to taste pre-botlling

Estimated OG - 1.061 (pre coffee addition)
Estimated FG - 1.017
Alcohol - 5.76%

SRM - 40
ECB - 78.8

Yeast - Danstar Nottingham 11g

How's it look?

Love the name!

No roast barley in the stout?

You could introduce lactose to give you the silky mouthfeel and help with the "latte" component.

Roast barley for coffee flavours from grain. A touch of black. Back off on the choc and fill the roast space with the black and RB.

250-500 lactose for creaminess.

Cold steep the roast malts overnight and add the liquor and grain in the last ten minutes of the mash.

Toast the oats for a nutty character. Use simpsons golden naked oats - 500g or so. No idea about the yeast as I've not used nottingham but I'd be going 1099 or 1084.

Mr Wibble, the 'cold brew' is referring to the coffee extraction method, has an entirely different profile to heat extracted coffee: low to no acidity, brings out the more subtle floral and aromatics that generally get lost through heat

I'm a bit cautious on the roast barley, I find it can over take the flavour and sitting at SRM 40 I'm not too concerned over the colour. I'm also concerned that the bitter may be present from the coffee and the roast barley could push it over, I might give it a try though.

Manticle, I'm not quite sure which liquor and grain your referring to for the last ten minutes of mash?

Definitely toasting the oats, sounds like the way to go.

Yeah, I'm thinking of changing to a different yeast, Nottingham is just my go to yeast haha

Gonna research lactose, looks interesting!

Take any roasted malt like chocolate or roast barley or black malt.
Crush (as fine as you like) and soak in a few litres of cold water. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.

Mash pale and crystal and oats. When you have around 15 minutes left of the mash, bring the cold steepings (liquid and grain) up to mashing temp and add it in to the main mash for the last 10 minutes.

Gives a smooth result and means you don't have to worry about the acidity of the roast grains driving pH too low.

I do similar to manticle by adding any grain over 530 EBC in any recipe to the last 10 minutes of the mash (before mashout). Seems to work ok.

Mill any hard grain twice at same setting or make the mill gap smaller.

Agree with toasting the oats (Quick oats if no SGNO) at around 160 deg c for 20 minutes turning once or until you're happy with them.

Perhaps keep the choc down to around 3.0% & make up the difference with Roast Barley & drop the crystal to come down to mid IBU range if you go Roast Barley?
Never used lactose so can't comment but the Notto will be fine at 18 or 19.

Can't imagine a Stout without Roast Barley. :D

Yeah, I'm considering giving the lactose a miss, maybe for the next batch, this will be my 4th AG brew so I want to try and keep it as simple as I can haha

Ah cool, thanks for the tip, didn't know about doing that!
Pretty excited to give this a shot, just gotta wait for the $$$ to come round!

So, going to drop the choc down to 2.5 and fill in the rest 50/50 Roast Malt/Black Malt

Hi ArgM,
did you brew this? how is it looking? id like to do a stout in the next week or so and this sounds great.
I'd appreciate your final recipe if you did do it.

Cheers.

Hey,

No, not yet, Im still working out the recipe, wanting to keep it fairly simple...
Ill either be ordering tonight or tomorrow night so Ill post it then! I'm trying to work out if I actually want to make it a stout, or if I want to make a porter instead, may end up trying both!

The other delay is in reading on oatmeal stouts I found a few people use various husks to prevent the oatmeal from going to gluey, so I had the idea of using coffee husks, but I dont know if they will do the same job. Picking up some from my local coffee shop tomorrow!

Good luck with your brew argM, your recipe has inspired me and im looking to do something like this on the weekend.may be i can be a pilot run!
guys, if i were to brew this recipe this weekend, what proportion of lactose and roast barley would you suggest?

Ps. I'm a 23 liter BIAB hack who was shopping for a stout recipe on the forum and came across this thread. I don't know enough to refine the recipe myself but would appreciate any input.
Edited for clarification and respect to OP.

when making and oatmeal stout - for me no roasted barley, use chocolate wheat.

Eggs, Im skipping the lactose this time round (would be my first time using it and want to keep it simple)

Here's my current recipe:

1.75kg - Pale ale
0.5kg - Caramel 60L
0.5kg - Dark Crystal
0.25kg - Rolled Oats (toasted)
0.2kg - Roasted Barley (soaked in water as suggested by Manticle)

Now, Im using Yirgacheffe coffee, this coffee is very sweet, low roast, floral with notes of hay, if you were to use say a Colombian medium roast coffee you will have more roast and bitter flavours.
I'm not using any hops to keep the aroma and aftertaste clean for the coffee.

OG - 1.059
FG - 1.014

6.01%

Haha, thanks for the respect, definitely not wise enough for any yet... wait to see how the beer turns out!

Ill let you know how I go with the coffee husks also, most people use rice husks by the looks of it, which from eye look slightly softer than the coffee husks, the coffee husks are used for making a tea call cherry tea or something, so maybe even just for depth of flavour?

So did you make this ? Did it turn out ok.

Also interested in the Cinnamon addition I want to add a slight cinnamon flavour to my beer (a stout) but sounds like you need to have a secondry and I am not keen on that. Do you have to add in the secondry, could your just add to the primary ? or do it like a dry hop if I soak it in vodka first

I'd halve the Crystal (both of them - like you had originally). Add the extra 500g of grain bill to the ale malt.

And I'd add a single 60 hop addition (target would be ok, I used fuggles in my last stout and was very happy - they can be sub'd). 50 ibus. With the roast barley you won't notice it as much.

it's not beer without hops.

Latest posts

Back