Coffee

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice point.... hmmmmmmm

i think your right... no win :D

I thought about sanitation too, and i ended up straying down my plunger with starsan no-rinse (from craftbrewer) and poured in boiled water that was slightly cooled (95ish), brewed for 3 minutes, plunged, poured into the fermenter. I didn't want to boil the brewed coffee, and i couldn't think of any other way to sanitise the coffee grounds without destroying the aroma and flavour.

I ended up using a 90g unopened sample pack ground coffee i had lying around, not fresh ground. i reckon if you sanitise your plunger and are careful while handling the grounds (if grinding fresh) you'll be fine, i know my stout wasn't infected. If your super paranoid, using a sealed pre-ground bag of coffee grounds would cut down some risk... not that they are completely sterile, but it might help.

Basicbrewingradio.com has a podcast about coffee and brewing. One of their suggestins was just to drop a shot of espresso into the fermenter.

this is what I do when I brew stout,its just enough to bring the memory of coffee to your drink, if you want more just have a real expresso :p

cheers amita

I met the brewer the day after he made his first batch of the stout and he had spent the whole night pulling espressos as well as knocking back a few. I imagine he delegates now!
he probably hasn't gone to bed yet

Back