coffee plunger for hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonk1972

Reaction score
Has anyone used a coffee plunger for steeping hops.. and then only use the liquad for dry hopping
Screenshot_2018-05-06-13-45-15.jpeg

Oh ok ... i just guessed it would work just like a strainer... I've never used a coffee plunger in any way not even coffee.. just thaught it sounded good in theiry.. thanks for your reply

I have never tried it, but if you are going to press the hops I would be wary of tannins going into the beer.
Oh ok ... i just guessed it would work just like a strainer... I've never used a coffee plunger in any way not even coffee.. just thaught it sounded good in theiry.. thanks for your reply

Standard procedure for adding "hop juice" to the fermentor to up the flavour profile post boil and prior to commencement of fermentation in the system that I have/use.

Cheers

Wobbly

Standard procedure for adding "hop juice" to the fermentor to up the flavour profile post boil and prior to commencement of fermentation in the system that I have/use.

Cheers

Wobbly
So u have used a plunger but not for dry hopping only after the boil

That's right I pressure ferment and consume from the same unit which is a temperature controlled conical pressure vessel and I don't want/wish to open the fermenter at the end of fermentation and expose the beer unnecessarily to oxygen

Wobbly

I have used a plunger twice recently. First time I brewed with fresh hops. I then dried some whilst it was fermenting and then instead of dry hopping I stuck them in the plunger for 30 minutes and then poured in when the ferment was nearly finished. I let the water get down to 75 Celsius in the plunger before adding the hops to not change the IBU count. The second time I deadset forgot to add the aroma hops to my Bohemian Pilsner. Was cleaning up waiting for the temp to drop in the fermenter and saw them sitting on the bloody scales. I was able to simply it do it in the plunger and pour in before adding my yeast. I think it helped on both occasions.

That's right I pressure ferment and consume from the same unit which is a temperature controlled conical pressure vessel and I don't want/wish to open the fermenter at the end of fermentation and expose the beer unnecessarily to oxygen

Wobbly

What brand/ make of vessel do you use?

Used it for my first half dozen brews for late additions (mostly in English style beers), with good effect. Not as good as the old mini boil method in wort, but still works well.

Pour your boiling water over the hops, let sit for your desired time (5-10 minutes for example), plunge and then pour the liquid into your fermenter.

JD

What brand/ make of vessel do you use?

It's a Williamswarn Personal Brewery. Does everything post boil in the one vessel. Temperature Control, Fermentation, Cold Crash, Carbonation, Clarification and Dispensing.

Wobbly

It's a Williamswarn Personal Brewery. Does everything post boil in the one vessel. Temperature Control, Fermentation, Cold Crash, Carbonation, Clarification and Dispensing.

Wobbly
Googling right now...

Back