Coffee N Toffee Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr1me

Reaction score
Hey guys,
was inspired from watching one of those home & garden shows where they made a toffee and coffee strusel cake, and thought to myself, coffee and toffee infused in a strong ale, maybe a porter, might not taste too bad... anyone tried this or something similar?

I'm looking to make a really creamy ale, alike to tetleys English Ale. Suggestions??

no suggestions or opinions or otherwise? at all? hello? tap tap tap... is this thing on? lol

Not sure about coffee and toffee together but I've made Grumpy's Masterbrew Yorkshire Toffee as a partial mash. It's come up as a nice English Mild, not too bitter with a hint of toffee aftertaste. Not creamy though - it would be nice with this brew now that I think of it.

Recipe as follows:
2.5kg Pale Male
Mash 90 mins @ 68C
EK Goldings to around 20 IBU's at start of 60 min boil
plus Masterbrew
Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley

OG 1.041
FG 1.010

Tip for any who make this: You will need to caramelise sugar as part of the Masterbrew instructions - DON'T wet the sugar too much when you start. If you wet it slowly it should take around 10 mins for it to caramelise. If you add too much water at the start it takes half an hour to become toffee! :eek:

I'm not 100% sure about this but I guess if you wanted coffee flavour you could add a small amount of Roasted Barley to the mash. (Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Still learning the effects of different grains.)

Hope this helps

Regards
Steve

Yeah,

I regularly use Ground Coffee in my Black Ales and Stouts, haven't thought about toffee though. I use about 10 grams of Expresso in the mash or boil. I find when it's in the mash it adds a very subtle mocha note to the beer and when it's done in the boil I can scale back on the bittering hops.

Coffee - use Chocolate malt...or espresso - prefer malt.
Toffee - use inverted sugar/belgian candi sugar or caremilise your own.

For Porters/stouts
Chocolate - use Cocoa or i use Dark compound cooking chocolate.

Hope this helps.

I had planned on using complete dark roasted kenyan beans, to give a real nutty/roasted flavour in the primary ferment.

I've made toffee before for the kids so I thought id just do that again for the primary ferment, and perhaps use some for a bulk prime.

Why don't you try dropping a coffe bean in a stubbie of beer much like some guys do with chilli? That way you can test the effect without risking a whole batch.

now that is a capital idea... might do it in my next batch of porter which i wanted to test with but the missus forbade me to do so :-(

that'll show her! that'll show em all!! hahahehehhe cough cough ahem...

I find Caramunich III, if overused, lends a real toffee taste to brews. Creamy flavour too. I'm thinking of abusing the rest of my stash this grain in a chocolate porter. Like a regular dark porter with base malt (in my case extract), dark roasted malt, choc malt and in place of traditional crystal, I'll add about 300-400g of caramunich. Oh, and about 200g of dark compounded cooking chocolate. Should make a nice sweet easy sipping winter warmer.

Back