Coconut Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hi Gang,
Has anyone heard of any recipes for coconut beers? I think the flavour would be quite nice in a ale/lager, but im not sure on how to go about it. I was thinking either shredded coconut or perhaps essence added to the wort? ideas?

cheers.

To my mind coconut in a lager would be well..... :icon_vomit:

I know there a few brewers that add the fresh vanilla beans and grated coconut to the bigger styles with great success. But not to your lighter brews that I know of. I am guessing by ales you mean like a bitter or pale?

From K&K coconut dark ale
linky

LINK to COCONUT DARK ALE click on linky

Might be oversimplifying things but coconuts are a big source of oil and fat - reminds me it's time to make some pork vindaloo again :icon_drool2: - so I would forget about a head on the beer. How about trying a drop of coconut essence in a glass of normal beer and see if the flavour appeals... queen coconut essence is actually a fair imitation.

:icon_offtopic:
...reminds me it's time to make some pork vindaloo again :icon_drool2:

Bribie just in time to bring along to the Babbs meeting mate! Awesome beer and a curry talk about good mates!

Anyway do as bribie says a tester would be best rather than making 23lt of undrinkable swill. Head retention would the biggest factor if you liked it.

Mmmmm Vindaloo and a pint or three of bitter :icon_drool2:

If anything the coconut flavours would work better with heaver sweeter beers, like a choc porter or similar (IMHO), and has been mentioned the issues of oil and fat come into play and i believe the original pioneer into this here (petesbrew) had these problems.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Might be oversimplifying things but coconuts are a big source of oil and fat - reminds me it's time to make some pork vindaloo again :icon_drool2: - so I would forget about a head on the beer.

No issues with head retention on the coconut curry brown ale I made. The oil floats on top of the fermenter - just siphon from beneath it or if you have a tap just leave the last little bit in the fermenter. Coconut doesn't impair head.

im fairly sure coconut has been covered somewhere else. in fact im positive ive made a comment on it myself. nfi what thread though.

Got a recipe there Newguy? And was this beer a success?

Do you end up leaving alot of the coconut flavour behind with the oil/fat?

:icon_cheers: Sj

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the coconut flavour/aroma was in the oil thus imparting the flavour I would have thought difficult.

Not disputing what you've said newguy and siphoning from the bottom sounds perfectly sensible but how muck coconut flavour was there? Send me a bottle to taste test maybe? LOL

im fairly sure coconut has been covered somewhere else. in fact im positive ive made a comment on it myself. nfi what thread though.

It was Petesbrew.... he ended up putting coconut essence in which he regretted... (this is from memory)...

Just click on linky up the way :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I did a Coopers Dark Ale with coconut not so long ago, just to play around. Tried a few different things, steeping desiccated coconut etc, then adding to secondary after fermentation. But having to add the milky white liquid to beer made me cringe. I added a fare bit but realised much more would be needed to make any really noticeable flavour. I didn't want my beer becoming thickened cream so looked for other options. I found cans of "young coconut juice" at woollies. Its a clear liquid and full of coconut flavour, if I was to do it again Id use this juice exclusively. No oily residue or anything.

Keen to hear how you go! Mine wasn't fantastic but I think it's a beer that could work well if done properly.

You know what they say about great minds SJ? :lol:

Yeah they read what other people have already posted so they don't end up repeating what other people have already said!!!!! :lol:

That said love your work, keep it up!

It was Petesbrew.... he ended up putting coconut essence in which he regretted... (this is from memory)...

That's the link that Tropical has posted to, already....and thats where NG mentioned his coconut curry brown....It was also, apparantly, 100% monkey poo free.
:lol:
It won a club competition, and a limited run was sold in a local liquor store...reviews are here.

Damn, i really prefer my brews with at least 5% monkey poo! :p

That's the link that Tropical has posted to, already....and thats where NG mentioned his coconut curry brown....It was also, apparantly, 100% monkey poo free.
:lol:
It won a club competition, and a limited run was sold in a local liquor store...reviews are here.

noticed that to late... drrrrrrrrrrr

Actually in the reviews it reads great. Might have to put it in the things I could brew section?

I had a few cans of Coconut porter from hawaii.

Really good once it had warmed a bit - like drinking a bounty chocolate bar. really rich smooth porter with just enough coconut to shine through.

I have a feeling they toast their coconut before adding it - it was mentioned in a brewing network show ages ago. maybe have a look on their forum. But I recall their advice was to avoid the hassles and use an essence/concentrate.

great if you can get it right.

Latest posts

Back