Cocoa Nibs In A Porter.....anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I just bought 200g of raw Cocoa nibs to use in a Porter. Was planning on using the in the keg but though maybe "dry hopping" or dry nibbing them may be better. They taste pretty funky, bitter and dirty with this choc background, should work fine but if anyone has had experience with using them I would like to know about it.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2000 g Pale Malt (Weyermann) (6.5 EBC) Grain 1 38.1 %
1500 g Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 28.6 %
750 g Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 14.3 %
600 g Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 4 11.4 %
150 g Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 5 2.9 %
150 g Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 6 2.9 %
100 g Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 7 1.9 %
20 g Magnum [14.40 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 8 33.3 IBUs
20 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml]

Steve

Asked the same question about a month ago, i think in the recipe ingredients section, would post link but cant on my nook.
I think manticle suggested toasting em and dry nibbing, which is what ill be doing. Also putting two 85% lindt blocks in the boil and maybe dry beaning some vanilla pods and even some french oak chips, getting abit busy though
Cheers
Sean

Yeah I toast til aromatic and add about 100g into 20 L after fermentation. Gives a nice 'dark choc/cocoa flavour' , no sweetness obviously.

The flavour is distinct with this amount but not overpowering so more is a possibility. Once in though, it's hard to take out so as with any flavourings, find your preferred level by experimenting and tweaking.

Thanks Manticle, sounds great.
Sean, I have done the Lindt chocolate thing.........dont bother, not worth it. Just save the choc and eat it with the beer. Vanilla pods work a treat though. But the flavour does subside over time, but great in a big stout. I found the Lindt choc just killed the head and did nothing for the flavour, thats why I am going with the Cacao Nibs.

Steve

Cheers steve, was concerned about the effect on the head. Toasting the nibs seems to be the way to go, think ill do the whole cb pack. Some have also ground them.
Got some really lush pods will try 2 in fermenter, can always add to keg if required. Thought the french oak will some vanillan flavours as well.
Did you soak the pods or just split an add?

I just bought 200g of raw Cocoa nibs to use in a Porter. Was planning on using the in the keg but though maybe "dry hopping" or dry nibbing them may be better. They taste pretty funky, bitter and dirty with this choc background, should work fine but if anyone has had experience with using them I would like to know about it.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2000 g Pale Malt (Weyermann) (6.5 EBC) Grain 1 38.1 %
1500 g Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 28.6 %
750 g Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 14.3 %
600 g Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 4 11.4 %
150 g Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 5 2.9 %
150 g Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 6 2.9 %
100 g Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 7 1.9 %
20 g Magnum [14.40 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 8 33.3 IBUs
20 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 3.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml]

Steve

What size batch is this recipe for? I have been looking at a very similar recipe as this in the Lucas smoked choc porter. The betrays are very similar but amounts different.

Still learning so excuse this if out is a dumb question.

T hanksBnB

Sean, from what I have read there is no need to toast the crushed cocoa nibs, but you could try. I would just be concerned by doing that and adding them to the fermenter or keg that you would get a burnt astringency flavour in the beer. Just go very easy if you are going to toast em. If u have whole cacao pods/seeds you will need to crush em up prior to putting them in the fermenter. And just split the vanilla pods down the centre and scrape the guts into the fermenter and also throw in the cases.

BNB, That recipe is for 25 litres post boil at 80% efficiency. I wanted to use Munich instead of Vienna and Maris Otter instead of the German Pale, but this should be fine.

Steve

I tried toasting after manticle mentioned that he did it. I couldn't notice the difference between toasting and not toasting nibs.

I have a coffee machine so I ground up some nibs and ran hot water through them. The result was awful - cocoa nibs have a lot of fat in them. They are best left for post fermentation.

I have used 100g in a 20L batch of RIS, soaked them in vodka for a day then dumped them in, made a chock martini with the left over vodka

that sounds like a plan sinkas :)

I tried toasting after manticle mentioned that he did it. I couldn't notice the difference between toasting and not toasting nibs.

Do people find they need dark malts so the nibs compliment and support, or are the nibs able to stand alone?

I've got some untoasted in a very basic ale with no spec malts with the intention that I can really taste what they contribute.
I haven't been terribly impressed by what I've tasted so far(they've been in secondary for about a month). Was thinking I should have toasted, may repeat and do this. But if there's no noticeable difference...

Kev

A bit of Smoked Malt in darker beers has given me the best results. I think you need some spec malt background to get them to pop. Done about 100 litres total with them now I guess.

Did you grind them at all? My Mrs has a food processor with a mini blender attachment - started putting them in there and got better results.

Just using them raw Logman or toasting?

If toasting - toast and then grind, or grind & toast?

Think I'll do a couple of small batches this weekend with and without dark spec grains...

Cheers

Think I've done both Kevo. You get more surface area if you grind them first but they are a bit harder to look after and oil does exude from them (one other good reason to toast - you can leave some of that behind). Might even be worth toasting and letting sit on greaseproof till cool and dry, grinding then another light toast, something I might do next time.

i used about 60g dry nibbing.... bit of a waste really...very, very subtle
then next batch, 40g in a 60min boil, as if using bittering hops, there is a definite choc background....
i think id boil 100g next time.
had no probs with oils and the like. still had great head retention

Just using them raw Logman or toasting?

If toasting - toast and then grind, or grind & toast?

Think I'll do a couple of small batches this weekend with and without dark spec grains...

Cheers
I don't toast them as I've been very happy with the flavor. They can gel together a bit after they go in the grinder, so try and get them 'loose' before they go in the fermenter so you can spread them out well.

Cheers for the advice Gents - see how I go...

Kev

One further question - does anyone cut back on their dark malts a touch to leave some 'space' for the nibs to come through - just let everything fight it out for position?

Cheers again

Kev

Where are you all sourcing the cocau nibs?

Is ebay the best place price wise?

Latest posts

Back