Cocoa Nibs - Chocolate Vanilla Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/15/chocolatizing-your-beer/

For what it's wor th I'm attempting this one soon. The roasted nibs mean less chance of infection due to not being raw, however the 3 day soak in alcohol to act as a sanitizer AND also to allow the nibs to release flavour seems to make sound sense to me. Especially when dealing with something that contains oils which could be volatile to the brew.

Roasting also develops flavour and draws out oils (which can then be left behind)

My 2 cents:

I gave this a go for my first time on my latest brew.

I ended up going with the following:

150 grams cacao nibs (No Roasting, just as they came)
3 x 14cm vanilla beans (cut and scraped)
1 cup vodka

Soaked the cacao nibs and vanilla in the vodka for 24 hours then into the primary fermenter with the vodka for 10 days (nibs and beans within my dry hopping SS tube so I can remove them at the end) , this was after 11 day initial ferment (3 weeks total). Part of the 10 days with the additives was 7 days of cold conditioning (so 3 days at 18c then 7 days at 10c).

I couldn't be happier with the result from the cacao and vanilla.

I've just been putting together/playing with a recipe for this on Beersmith and I'm wondering what the difference is with these nibs compared to chocolate from a block, I was looking at using Lindt 90% cocoa added to the boil would this still work ok?

In the link above it says that manufacturers use coco butter or other fats in block chocolate which can effect head retention or even go rancid. Could rancid fats be used to add a sour flavour to the beer? 0_o

Sorry. Bad attempt at humour mixed with an attempt to answer an old question :D

Could you add the Cacao nibs to the boil after roasting? I am going to do a Choc/Vanilla milk stout on the weekend. A bit late as winter is on the way out but im still keen.

Edit: thinking on it now maybe that would create a lot of mess in the kettle without a hop bag. Could you use it in the mash?

That's how I do my choc porter
on some baking paper under the grill for a few minutes until they're nice and aromatic, then bang them into the last 10 minutes of the boil
This way I figure you may isomerize some of the oils and not ruin your head retention as badly

500g for a double batch too much! Maybe more like 300g and add more to the fermenter if i think its needed. I have a talent for over doing things.

Back