Cock Ale... As In Chicken!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that image, Bribie. Just what I needed.

I never had a Cock Ale, I have had a couple made by a Cock though.

Batz

So is anyone concerned about food poisoning?
For most bacteria (that is present in chicken)to stay dormant you'll need to keep the temperature below 7 degrees Celsius. But obviously using an ale yeast will require the temperature to be higher than that.
Possibly the alcohol produced by the yeast will kill off some bacteria. But am I the only one who's worried about this?
I went ahead and made a cock ale but I'm a bit worried about serving it to friends and family.
Botulism is not cool

Did you read Ross' process? He boils the leftovers into a broth for 30 minutes.

I wouldn't be adding raw chicken to anything.

FWIW many old school mead recipes say to throw a steak into the ferment. The folks who say they've done it say the steak has disappeared by the end of the ferment. This meat/beer thing may not be so odd after all. Meat Beer. Has a certain ring to it.

Supposedly a source of nitrogen for yeast nutrition from what I've read.

tiprya said:
Did you read Ross' process? He boils the leftovers into a broth for 30 minutes.

I wouldn't be adding raw chicken to anything.
Yeah I read that. Boiling the chicken will eliminate salmonella but there are other bacteria in chicken that I am more worried about.

The whole chicken in beer thing makes me feel a bit crook. :icon_vomit:

A great beer I'm sure but for someone else not me.

Batz

BeansBrew said:
Yeah I read that. Boiling the chicken will eliminate salmonella but there are other bacteria in chicken that I am more worried about.
Such as?

TNT650R said:
I have only done oysters stout...not chicken..
But the fat of the chicken, can't damaged the foam?
there is also the bacon beer http://rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php
I can confirm Bacon Beer (mine atleast) will have little to no head
I oven roasted the bacon and then removed as much oil as possible with paper towels
it ended up tasting pretty average, but I think it's because I dry hogged (geddit?) the beer with bacon for 2 weeks instead of 3 or 4 days like most people suggest

bradsbrew said:
well i'm not sure exactly, but obviously cooked chicken starts to smell after a few days. Properly cooked chicken will have no salmonella present, clearly there are other bacteria at play.

Another thing, while some bacteria only grow where there is oxygen present, other bacteria thrive in an environment containing no oxygen (such as in fermenting beer).

Batz said:
I believe the guys at Bacchus Brewing did this at least once.

Batz
Yep, I had this on tap a year or so ago. Red Cock Ale. Itwas delicious.

Latest posts

Back