Co2 When Racking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbrine

Reaction score
Can anyone see any down side to delivering a squirt of co2 when racking off the primary yeast and/or when racking for bulk priming and bottling? I thought a small dose into the empty container would expel oxygen and maybe even another dose before putting on the lid would ensure no oxygen with the beer. Over the last 2 years I've had a few beers that developed an 'off' taste a few weeks after bottling and it has been suggested that aeration may be the problem.

I'd appreciate any help here.

Cheers,
Mel

You won't push all of the oxygen out because there will be some mixing and such. But there isn't any downside to doing it IMO.

Try cold conditioning for a day or three or more before transferring. Apart from clearing the beer this should keep oxidization at bay, if that's the problem anyway.

Can anyone see any down side to delivering a squirt of co2 when racking off the primary yeast and/or when racking for bulk priming and bottling? I thought a small dose into the empty container would expel oxygen and maybe even another dose before putting on the lid would ensure no oxygen with the beer. Over the last 2 years I've had a few beers that developed an 'off' taste a few weeks after bottling and it has been suggested that aeration may be the problem.

I'd appreciate any help here.

Cheers,
Mel

The act of racking causes turbulence which displaces some dissolved CO2. The work is being done for you :icon_cheers:

If your beers are developing an off taste and aeration is a possibility then you may be splashing when you rack. You really want it to be as gentle as possible.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. a small does of CO2 into an empty vessel (i assume you mean a fermenter or a cube/jerry) will not effectively displace the O2. You will need to purge with CO2 for a few minutes for this to occur. I've been 'inerting' corny kegs at work by flushing them with a variety of gases to displace the O2 and measuring the O2 levels. It takes 2 mins at 100+kPa to displace all the O2.

The act of racking causes turbulence which displaces some dissolved CO2. The work is being done for you :icon_cheers:

If your beers are developing an off taste and aeration is a possibility then you may be splashing when you rack. You really want it to be as gentle as possible.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. a small does of CO2 into an empty vessel (i assume you mean a fermenter or a cube/jerry) will not effectively displace the O2. You will need to purge with CO2 for a few minutes for this to occur. I've been 'inerting' corny kegs at work by flushing them with a variety of gases to displace the O2 and measuring the O2 levels. It takes 2 mins at 100+kPa to displace all the O2.

Thank you, I appreciate your information

That actually sounds like a fun thing to do! I want your job!! :beer:

So i assume that's for a 19L corny?
So can i also assume that my 9.5L corny will take half the time at same pressure?

That actually sounds like a fun thing to do! I want your job!! :beer:

Yes and you can imagine Ross' surprise when we ordered a large number of JG fittings, seals, tubing etc that you would for a very large kegging system (currently 2 sets of 12 kegs) for a non beer related purpose! My HB experience is proving very useful at work. It was either spend $20K+ on a glovebox or a few $100 on a kegging system and since we already had 100s of kegs it was a no brainer.

So i assume that's for a 19L corny?
So can i also assume that my 9.5L corny will take half the time at same pressure?

Yes, 19L and yes, should take half the time at the same pressure. The drop in O2 does slow down towards the end but i am measuring O2 levels down to 1 ppb.

Back