CO2 refills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dxxxx

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just bought a second hand keg setup but the gas bottle is empty and am trying to find out where I can get it filled. I'm in Townsville, QLD and so far BOC have said they won't do it, they only swap bottles. Likewise with the LHBS. What other kind of places could I try calling?

Unless you're quite attached to that particular bottle, why not just swap it?

They both will only swap their own bottles they said.

Problem with living in a regional area. That's why I lease bottles through BOC - it would have been ok in Bris to own my own, and I was intending to eventually, but I've moved to Taree area and thank goodness I didn't buy - we have a BOC ten minutes away as opposed to maybe driving to Sydney.

If you can't find a local refiller you might want to bite the bullet and go with BOC, the way I look at it for my 10k cylinder it's the same price as a pot at the RSL every week.

Bribie G said:
Problem with living in a regional area. That's why I lease bottles through BOC - it would have been ok in Bris to own my own, and I was intending to eventually, but I've moved to Taree area and thank goodness I didn't buy - we have a BOC ten minutes away as opposed to maybe driving to Sydney.

If you can't find a local refiller you might want to bite the bullet and go with BOC, the way I look at it for my 10k cylinder it's the same price as a pot at the RSL every week.
Yeah I should have done my research better before I bought it. Just got too excited.
Anyway, I sent an email out on the FNQ mailing list and someone replied they get theirs filled at a dive shop here in town, so I'll see if that works.
Also, if anyone could look at this:
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/fire-extinguisher-co2.266/
Is using a CO2 extinguisher normally as easy as attaching a regulator as shown?
I just asked a friend who works at some fire safety company, they don't do refills, but he has a bunch of full CO2 extinguishers that will be thrown out or something, he said I could have one if I want.

There's a heap of threads about fire extinguishers on the forum - pops up regularly. Googling "AHB Forum Fire Extinguisher" brings up a fair list to wade through. I know lots of guys do it.

I get my converted fire extinguisher re-filled at Brew by U in Brisbane. There was one in Townsville, dunno if it's still there or not?

If you can get a co2 fire extinguisher for nothing then grab it.That's all I use.
You may need an a reducer to fit your regulator. Some have different threads but all BSP.
I have 3. 1/2" male, 1/2" female and 1/4" female.
Not hard to get fittings.

i got fittings for a fire X from a hydrolic hose fitting mob so it was "pressure rated "

but many regs screw direct onto the fire X no fitting needed (just depends on the fire X)

Womball said:
I get my converted fire extinguisher re-filled at Brew by U in Brisbane. There was one in Townsville, dunno if it's still there or not?
It closed down I believe.
wombil said:
If you can get a co2 fire extinguisher for nothing then grab it.That's all I use.
You may need an a reducer to fit your regulator. Some have different threads but all BSP.
I have 3. 1/2" male, 1/2" female and 1/4" female.
Not hard to get fittings.

Maheel said:
i got fittings for a fire X from a hydrolic hose fitting mob so it was "pressure rated "

but many regs screw direct onto the fire X no fitting needed (just depends on the fire X)
I might as well grap the extinguishers anyway, might come in handy.
A dive shop here has said they can fill the bottles. They will just have to have a look at it first, make sure it's all ok I guess.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Wonder why a dive shop would be supplying CO2. All our divers keep on dying must be something in the tank.

most likely an aquarium and dive shop... fishies like co2, peoples in scuba don't

The dive shop swapped my bottle on the spot for a full one. For those that were curious, they use CO2 and nitrogen mix to inflate life rafts apparently. They just decided to do bottle swaps as a sort of favour to homebrewers the lady who worked there said.
What do you guys normally pay for to fill/swap a 6kg bottle? and how long does a bottle usually last? I understand it will be different depending on how quickly you drink.

DU99 said:
i have a 6kg bottle and pay $60 for refill..
Where abouts DU99? I make the long haul to keg king for mine $50 for a swap an go.

It was only $42 to swap mine. Guess that can't be too bad then.

i use supagas at sunshine,only down side is they send it away...try coburg aquarium (bell street) they do a overnight service on small bottles and charge $10 kilo...also my bottle is a supagas unit

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just ask here.
Is it normal for the CO2 regulator to get icy on the outside?

Latest posts

Back