Co2 Refill In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local hbs shop refused to fill it just because it was a kegland bottle, forcing me to look elsewhere, my other local hbs stores don't offer a co2 service. I have contacted KK and if it is a non KK bottle (mines a kegland) then it's $72 to fill plus a 90 minute round trip. If I can get it cheaper somewhere else and it's nearer to where I live why wouldn't I do that since my local hbs stores won't or can't help me?

That makes more sense now you have explained a but further.

If you go to the keg land website it gives you a map of the places that swap or refill their bottles. Not sure if that helps. Also on my phone so can't see if you have a location listed

My local hbs shop refused to fill it just because it was a kegland bottle, forcing me to look elsewhere, my other local hbs stores don't offer a co2 service. I have contacted KK and if it is a non KK bottle (mines a kegland) then it's $72 to fill plus a 90 minute round trip. If I can get it cheaper somewhere else and it's nearer to where I live why wouldn't I do that since my local hbs stores won't or can't help me?
Go BOC gas, they have a hire deal for a D size cylinder for $79 per year, with 1 free refill, so that equates to $39.50 a fill for the first two fills in a calendar year, then it rolls over and starts again. So if you haven't quite used your first cylinder before the roll over take it in get the free refill, then you are starting with a full bottle for the second year with your yearly free refill up your sleeve.

They still charge a dozen cans of megswill for a 6kg bottle refill.

Really?? Do they prefer their swill with a green label or a red one?

Anyone in particular I should speak to there? my cylinder is almost empty. :D

I assume they do the 2.6Kg ones too as they are listed as a refiller.

KK and KL are in the same suburb ... why not just get it refilled where you bought it?

KK and KL are in the same suburb ... why not just get it refilled where you bought it?
At the risk of this thread been hijacked by supporters of either KK and/or KL :). KK won't refill KL bottles due I think to some history between the two companies. Brewer Den in Boronia also won't fill KL bottles. I have found places that do a swap and go service but I just bought my bottle brand new and would rather hold on to it than swap it, if possible. Selby Safety apparently do refills but they told me it's not food grade although someone earlier on this thread indicated all co2 is basically the same so I'll have to research that in order to feel comfortable in using them.

Here's something to think about:

Food grade CO2 is not meant for human consumption. For that, you should use Beverage Grade, which is more pure than Medical Grade. Both major soft drink companies have Beverage Grade as their minimum guideline. Food Grade CO2 is a dirty gas that isn't tested for several carcinogens...because it isn't meant to be ingested. You need to go to CO2 providers that only handle Beverage Grade, because once you put Beverage Grade CO2 in a container that has Food Grade (or worse), then you no longer have Beverage Grade CO2.

It's from here https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/43655/is-there-such-a-thing-as-food-grade-co2

So should you be asking if it's food grade?
Blowed if I know, but BOC have indicated all their CO2 is the same - only the tanks are classed as medical / food or industrial.

Thanks for that but I've already bought a bottle so I'm looking to refill or at worst swap and go.
I had a similar dilemma with welding gas. Sign up online for a BOC account and you will probably find it cheaper to "rent" the gas from them than refill your bottle. If you use more than 6kg in a year it is only slightly more than the cost of a 2.6kg swap in Melbourne!
I know - I now have a bottle I own that might run out of it's stamp - I'm going to see if someone like TT will exchange it for an argon or stainshield, otherwise it might become scrap metal.

At the risk of this thread been hijacked by supporters of either KK and/or KL :). KK won't refill KL bottles due I think to some history between the two companies. Brewer Den in Boronia also won't fill KL bottles. I have found places that do a swap and go service but I just bought my bottle brand new and would rather hold on to it than swap it, if possible. Selby Safety apparently do refills but they told me it's not food grade although someone earlier on this thread indicated all co2 is basically the same so I'll have to research that in order to feel comfortable in using them.
I didn't say to get it filled at KK ... I'm wondering why you dont get it filled at KL where you bought it?

Go BOC gas, they have a hire deal for a D size cylinder for $79 per year, with 1 free refill, so that equates to $39.50 a fill for the first two fills in a calendar year, then it rolls over and starts again. So if you haven't quite used your first cylinder before the roll over take it in get the free refill, then you are starting with a full bottle for the second year with your yearly free refill up your sleeve.
Just found the deal. Better than the $20.13 a month they quoted me for a D cylinder.

Refills, swap and goes all ready at KegLand .
Just come in from 9-5 Monday to Friday (Saturdays soon) $25 for 2.6kg and $50 for 6kg. Card only.
They fill all bottles within their testing date or swap and go any KegLand bottle.

Refills, swap and goes all ready at KegLand .
Just come in from 9-5 Monday to Friday (Saturdays soon) $25 for 2.6kg and $50 for 6kg. Card only.
They fill all bottles within their testing date or swap and go any KegLand bottle.
That's a pretty poor offering - glad I didn't get a KL cylinder!
(You can't have an out of date KL cylinder anyway - they haven't been around long enough.)

Back