CO2 longevity and bottle retesting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackdaw

Reaction score
Mate has given me a full unused 6kg bottle that he hasnt used for near 10 years - bottle last tested 12 yrs ago.

#1 Should the CO2 still be safe to use?

#2 Whats a valve/pressure test for another 10 years use worth?

Cheers, Reg

#1 Pop a regulator on it and let some CO2 out into a bag and gently have a whiff. If it smells like CO2 (nothing, maybe a carbonic acid "burn" in your nose) then she's right. However, if there was any moisture in the cylinder at all - even the tiniest amount - the CO2 would dissolve into this, form carbonic acid and encourage corrosion of the cylinder.

#2 Not sure sorry

jackdaw said:
Mate has given me a full unused 6kg bottle that he hasnt used for near 10 years - bottle last tested 12 yrs ago.

#1 Should the CO2 still be safe to use?

#2 Whats a valve/pressure test for another 10 years use worth?

Cheers, Reg

klangers said:
#1 Pop a regulator on it and let some CO2 out into a bag and gently have a whiff. If it smells like CO2 (nothing, maybe a carbonic acid "burn" in your nose) then she's right. However, if there was any moisture in the cylinder at all - even the tiniest amount - the CO2 would dissolve into this, form carbonic acid and encourage corrosion of the cylinder.

#2 Not sure sorry
Bit unsafe - if you get a complete lung-full you could knock yourself out, or worse... it's an inert gas, should not have an expiry date. CO2 will definitely still be safe to use. The bottle however, is out of test so use at your own risk.

Cost of having the bottle re-tested would far exceed the cost of buying a new swap-n-go type bottle (as low as $150 these days for 2.6kg).

Think I've heard s test might be $40 to $50

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Really? OK, sorry I stand corrected...
I have also herd that firebox at Beresfield is around that rate though I'm sure that the last 3 bottles/refills they have done are out of date and there has been no checks made. After filling I ask politely what is the recheck date on that and I have generally received unsure mate we can check it for you next time round for about $50 extra than the fill rate.....
Could just be luck? Or old mate don't mind if the bottle blows up while I'm paying?? Heaps good service though.

Latest posts

Back