Co2 In Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benhobbs

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while, I should have searched a bit more before I purchased my equipment though.....

I recently bought some kegs and a Co2 reg and bottle from Brewers Discount, everything went well, everything arrived as described in around 7 weeks, in excellent condition..

Now my problem, as I have since found out, the US bottles and regs have a different fitting, and I am having trouble finding somewhere to fill my bottle. I thought I might be able to find a fire extinguisher refill place that might be able to test my bottle and refill, but so far all the places I have called haven't been very helpful.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a relaxed extinguisher refiller in the Sydney area that might be able to help me out?

Thanks
Ben :chug:

If the bottle is a genuine CO2 bottle (ie. not a fire extingusher) have a chat to Damien at Whats Brewing in Kogarah. He might be able to help you out.

Beers,
Doc

Which quarter of Sydney are we talking about??

ie: where is ya???

Gday BenHobbs

I have heard that the US CO2 bottles have a different head set than our bottles????. But like Doc said give Whats Brewins a call
What's Brewing 56 Rocky Point Rd Kogarah 2217 (02) 9587 2653 He will help if he can. Is it a steel bottle or aluminum?

Cheers
Beer Slayer

Thanks all for your responses. :)

I am in Epping, work in the city, so I would prefer something around the North or Northwest..

The cylinder has some markings on it which indicate it is a proper Co2 bottle, markings are DOT-3AL 1800..

I may have found somewhere that can fill it, but I need to ring back to confirm later on today... I'll let you know the results.

Thanks
Ben

Hey Ben,

When I got my kegging gear I got everything from the US and then had the same problem you are having. I rang around in Brisbane and no one would fill it because the threads are different. Ended up selling it on ebay with the reg that came with it and making a profit :blink: Picked up a fire extinguisher for $100 and a reg from Andale....so in the end it only cost me about $30 for my extinguisher and reg :D

:beer:

WOOHOO!

All the markings on the bottle indicate that it meets Aus stds... The details below are where I shall get it filled next week...

The numbers on the bottle of interest were "DOT-3AL 1800"

I'll update everyone with how much it cost to fill once it is done and confirmed.

Betta Fire Protection Pty Ltd
unit2/ 24 -26 Winbourne Rd Brookvale 2100
(02) 9939 7807

Ben :chug:

When you get it filled/swapped see if they can put the bottle under your name, that way when it needs to be refilled/swapped there wont be a problem.

Once you have your foot in the door it's all good, something like a government job. :p :D

I got my bottle filled... cost me $80 which is a little steep I think, so I might have to look around a bit further next time..

Thanks
Ben :)

As long as it is your own bottle I can't see why the guys at Air Liquide wouldn't do it!
Just a thought
Gerard

Ben,
That's great that you got your own bottle filled.
Next time you wish to get your bottle filled, you may wish to talk to Tim at Speed Gas, he is at Unit B4/1 Campbell Parade, Manly Vale, telephone 99077999. Tell Tim that you have been talking to me and you will find he is as cheap as chips and a good bloke to boot.
Regards,
Lindsay.

I didn't speak to Air Liquide, but I gathered from some of the other posts that they only liked to fill their rental bottles?

And thanks again everyone for all your help and suggestions on where to get it filled!

Thanks
Ben :)

Hi Ben.
I have been looking at putting a order in through Brewers Dicount ,i was looking at 4 3gal kegs Co2 bottle regulator and some other equpment but after reading your post im a bit wary about the Co2 bottle and reg.Was the Co2 bottle up to Aus standards or did you have to have it tested.Did you have to change the conections i have herd that the threads on them are different.
The quote i got from Brewers Discount was very good,how did the shipping end up price wise.

Thanks Mick

Back