Co2 For Kegs -where To Get It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temple of Seth

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just got a keg on ebay and now that I'm committed, I'm wondering where to get the other little things I'll need to get the setup going. For example, where's the best kind of place to get a co2 cylinder? Back home I leased a tank from a welding supply company and was able to get my deposit back when I left. As I don't know how long I'll be staying in Oz, a deal like this would be good to do again. Do things like this work around here? Does anybody know a good supply company in the Brisbane area? Also, where's the best and cheapest place to get regulators, beverage lines, picnic faucets, etc.?

ToS

Temple, my research so far in brisbane has shown that you have 3 alternatives
a) Rental. Some people in other states seem to find bottle rental for like $30 a year, we in Brisbane seem to get shafter by Air Liquide and BOC and have to pay like $100 a year
B) Brewers Choice in Chapel Hill will sell you a 2.5kg botle for $250 or so, with $20 refills.
c) Modify a fire extinguisher. Lots of info on this site.

Hmmm. The main issue is that I expect to be here for 1.5 more years but beyond that who can tell? Depends on lots of things (like how much further the greenback drops - pay off those debts American style!). With that amount of time I'm sceptical about buying a $250 bottle (how often do you refill a 2.5kg one anyway? - my last was 20lbs but that was a little big to carry). What kind of regulator do you need to use a fire extinguisher? I imagine it requires two barbed connectors... If I end up doing it I'll post some how-to pictures to the site.

Man, I really feel for you aussies getting into kegging. The cost-barrier is much, much higher here! Thank goodness for the FTA ;)

ToS,

the fire extinguishers at Blaze Fire Protection in Loganholme are $110 for a 5kg cylinder, including gas. If you tell them what you want, then they'll get you the one that fits the normal home brew regulator. Ask them to remove the dip tube before filling and you're sorted.

Cheers - Snow

Temple of Seth said:
Man, I really feel for you aussies getting into kegging. The cost-barrier is much, much higher here! Thank goodness for the FTA ;)
Yes the cost of setting up a keg system is higher in Oz than the US, but the FTA wil have FA impact on this. It will however lead to increased pharmaceutical costs because US drug companies despise our health care system and wish to dismantle the Pharmaceuticals Benefit Scheme :angry: !

Poltical rant over. Phew that feels better out than in :p .

Cheers
MAH

Hee hee. Yeah. Maybe the smiley I used didn't appropriately convey the intended irony. Trust me, beware of seppos with contracts.

Latest posts

Back