Co2 Extinguisher

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I have 3.5 Kg CO2 Extinguisher how do I convert to use for kegging I have not got the kegs yet and no experience with them .

1) do I get rid of the gas in the extinguisher .

2) do I have to refil with a food grade CO2 gas ?

3) do I have to remove fittings on the bottle and replace them with special ones for kegging beer?

4) who will refil the extinguisher ?

5) Is it illegal ?

Pumpy

Hi pumpy,

I have a 3.5kg extinguisher too. \
This is my understanding of the required procedures;
The first thing you need to do is get a regulator to fit it
It's going to cost you about $90
You dont have to drain the CO2 in the extinguisher but because its got a dip tube fitted, you`ve got to run it upside/ down untill it's empty. Then you get the fire extinguisher company (or whoever) to remove the diptube, and refill it. From then on you can use it the 'right way up'.
I've been told C02 is C02 no matter where it comes from (A by product of industry!)

Pumpy, most fire extinguisher places and some homebrew shops will refill the bottle. Just make sure you remove the dip tube.

- Snow

Hey All,

Shed, when you say 'a regulator to fit it', does this mean a special breed of regulator? Do I take it that a 'standard' co2 reg from, for example, ebay, will not work for the job? Just trying to optimize costs to get my new 45L keg up and running.

Cheers,

ToS

Some extinguishers have the 1/2 BSP thread on the head,where the hose attaches to the head. This allows the reg to screw straight on to the bottle.

Latest posts

Back