Co2 Extiguishers For Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Beer Dog
Reaction score
I am still procrastinating about the extiguisher for kegging. One thing that has occured to me is...What happens if there is a fire and someone (who doesn't realise the extinguisher is for kegging) tries to extinguish the fire with it?
Will it put out a fire? Will they spread the fire? Will it do nothing? Your thoughts please!
Cheers
Darren

Darren,

It is my understanding that the effective use for CO2 fire puterouterers....is that the liquid when extinguised from the vessel takes some of the liquid solution which is more benificial in starving the fire of o2.....

My 5kg job (sourced from the same place as MAHs) has had the dip tube removed along with all of the stickers - I thought about painting it beige - but its a great talking point while standing around the dispensing fridge.....I have also added a toxic gas sticker for added conversation value....

Justin from this forum is full bottle on this topic

Cheers
Jason

Darren

Mine would do nothing. Firstly it's attached to a 4 way manifold by a length of CVT tubing and you would have to pull off this. Secondly it has a regulator attached, which is normally turned off when not in use, so even if you depressed the handle nothing would come out. So I suppose at the most it would waste someones time, when they could be running for their life.

This is not a problem for me, both myself and my partner know that this bottle is useless for fighting fires and we're the only two people who live there. Secondly I plan to make a small cabinet to conceal the bottle, out-of-site out-of-mind, so no-one would accidentally grab it becuase they wouldn't even know it's there(although this is not the reason for the cabinet, I just want to make the whole brew fridge area look tidier).

We also have a working fire extinguisher in a much more prominent and accesible position, which you would naturally reach for first.

Cheers
MAH

Hey Darren, just whack a sticker on it that says not to be used as a fire extinguisher if you want. My thoughts are you would probably pass out from lack of oxygen before you managed to put the fire out with it as you can't really aim and shoot a blanket of CO2 at the base of the fire with it. Somehow I don't think anyone in my situation would be thinking about using it as an extinguisher.

1. It has a reg on it.
2. It's attached to kegs and in the freezer
3. I think the person involved would be too panicked to even think about using it.
4. When grabbing the extinguisher I fear the person would become distracted by the cold beer on tap and forget about fire an sit back and have a cold one.
5. I'd be disappointed if the person grabbing the extinguisher did not suddenly realise the wrongs of his ways and forget about the bloody fire extinguisher and "saved the beer instead!!!".

At least then we could sit out side and have a cold one and watch the show ;) :unsure: :chug:

Nah, I don't think if would be a real concern.

Cheers, Justin ;)

Easy fix...

Get a real fire extinguisher and sit it next to the converted one - even Homer Simpson will pick up the right one because:

a. It's not connected to anything, and
b. He can use it to keep the fire away from the beer!

Cheers,
TL

Back