Co2 Dose It Go Off

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCC

Reaction score
just got my first keggs the other day,and found a full co2 bottle at work [great thing working under a pub] now can't quite remember when we got it i think it was about 4 years ago, and was wondering if the gas goes off or would it be still alright to use. it is the E SIZE if that makes any difference there is also 2 - 5 foot ones there as well so if they are right to use i don't think i will ever have to buy gas...
cheers occ :beer:

Awsome would love free CO2 :)

But I don't think it goes off just hope the tap on top dosen't leak from hard seals maybe? I am not to sure how the valves work really?

OCC said:
just got my first keggs the other day,and found a full co2 bottle at work [great thing working under a pub] now can't quite remember when we got it i think it was about 4 years ago, and was wondering if the gas goes off or would it be still alright to use. it is the E SIZE if that makes any difference there is also 2 - 5 foot ones there as well so if they are right to use i don't think i will ever have to buy gas...
cheers occ :beer:
[post="81130"][/post]​

no, it will be off. Give it to me, and I'll dispose of it properly.

Just kidding, I cant see that there would be a problem. Just check that the cylinder isnt rusting, the seals are still in good condition, and it's still holding pressure.

I think it would be possible to contaimanate a bottle but i would imagine it'll have to be empty to do that ie allow a food product back inside it.
What you have is a score, c02 doesn't contain any organic matter which could go off, it should last forever as far as i can see.

The song remains the same.
Jayse

Jye said:
and found a full co2 bottle at work

I love "finding" stuff at work :D :D :D
[post="81140"][/post]​

thanx boys thats what i was hoping to hear,now i just need to know the method of filling the small bottle from the big ones.
and yes jye i too like "finding" stuff at work now i'm hoping to "find" a pluto gun.
occ

The gas should be fine, as long as it's been kept under a blanket of CO2.

:p

Look what I found this year... all old, all full, all fine...

01413.jpg

Nice :eek: (This emoticon is meant to resemble my jaw dropping open)

:super:

Jeez Wortgames, that looks like the stash of WMD everyone's been looking for! :eek:

- Snow

It will be ok Wortgames, as long as you dont have any oil reserves nearby :D

Hehehe I'm in control of Australia's Strategic Gas Reserve :super:

01412.jpg

... but this was the holy grail:

kegsyard.jpg

... and I really want to do something with this:

01414.jpg

WORTGAMES YOU LUKY BUGGER.

fix the bus and then bring it all to me and you can run the bus in and keep it and i will look after the kegs for yoy LoL :)

TANKED

its nice to dream

What on earth is that doing out bush? (well it looks like bush anyway)

Yep its NSW/VIC border country. Some friends of mine rescued the beer stuff a few years ago when the local pub was demolished, and as the brewer I have become the defacto Keeper of the Goodies.

Nobody really knows how the bus came to be there, but I want it.

Wortgames said:
Yep its NSW/VIC border country. Some friends of mine rescued the beer stuff a few years ago when the local pub was demolished, and as the brewer I have become the defacto Keeper of the Goodies.

Nobody really knows how the bus came to be there, but I want it.
[post="81294"][/post]​

Are those the old 18gallon kegs sitting next to the soda kegs? if so they make fine kettles for the large batch sizes

I haven't even really thought about the larger kegs, they look so ugly and rusty.

My guess is that they are plain old steel, probably lined with something - any ideas?

01408.jpg

They look like the old ones that the Swan brewery used to use in WA. They have a stainless inner keg which has a galvanised metal outer wrapped around it. Could also be useful as a fermenter as the top assembly unscrews for cleaning. You need to do a spot of photogrametric interpretation and work out their size in comparison with the corneys to work out what volume they are.

cheers ausdb

wortgames- i thought i was lucky i surpose you would call that "check mate".
oh yeah by the way have used the gas ?????
if i only knew how to post pictures i could show off my "finds" that i get at work!!!!!

Stainless inners huh? (cue manic rubbing of hands in true stainless-fetishist style)

They look a bit larger than a standard 50L keg, so internal volume is probably close to that. I will play with one next time I go up there.

I am currently using one of the big bottles of gas here in Melbourne. I was planning to make a filling rig (I've got an empty VT cylinder that BOC have kindly lent me on a perpetual basis), but I decided I couldn't be bothered. I've got sodastream cylinders for mobile use and the big cylinders, while heavy, fit in the van OK so I'll just swap them when they are empty (I'll probably get 3 years use out of each one!) Not worth making the rig then risking death trying to up-end one of those monsters to decant it. If I decide I want a 'normal' co2 bottle I'll just get the Melbourne Air Liquide home brewer deal (an embarrassment of riches eh?)

BTW - OCC - when you're in the 'add reply' window, you can browse for a pic on your PC then upload it. You will then see a list of your uploaded pics, each one has a button next to it to insert it in your post wherever the cursor is. Hope this helps!

I have the large bottle as well I would love to see a stand that someone has to up end it so I can fill soda stream bottles! I have the right connectors for it but can't figure a way to turn the bottle upside down.

You will be surprised that the big bottles don't last that long, I have had mine since January and its almost empty! Haven't really done that many brew.... maybe 40 corny's? :blink:

Wow when you work it out thats a fair bit!

Back