CO2 cylinders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tateg

Reaction score
So after emptying another 2.6kg KK bottle I am starting to think about either getting a bigger bottle or maybe another 2.6kg to keep as a spare.
It is such a pain to get home on a Saturday afternoon only to find out I have no gas left, then when I make a visit to LHB store today, they have no swap bottles.
What does everyone else do?
Also what is the difference between the kegs on legs and the kk 6 kg bottles (apart from the size) that makes it so much more.

Cheers tate

Nearly said:
What temp do you guys keep your keg fridge at? I am trying around 2 degC at the moment.... seems good to me.
Also should mention that I could have 7 kegs on the gas at anytime.
Also used for filtering and purging kegs before filling.

I can't complain about the 6kg KegKing bottle and the only LHBS stocks the swap bottles.

I think you have already convinced yourself you need a bigger bottle.

The worst case would be if 2 bottles ran out at the same time, but that would never happen, would it?

But where can the 6kg bottles be filled ? Kk is over an hours drive for me does anyone else fill them on in the north western burbs

I have a 4.5 Kg MKOL bottle and think its the nuts, bit shorter than a corny, same diameter as a 6.8Kg so its very stable, bit of a goldilocks answer not too big and not too small.
Would really help if you filled in your location hard for people to answer even if they know what you need, and don't know where you need it.
Mark

MHB said:
I have a 4.5 Kg MKOL bottle and think its the nuts, bit shorter than a corny, same diameter as a 6.8Kg so its very stable, bit of a goldilocks answer not too big and not too small.
Would really help if you filled in your location hard for people to answer even if they know what you need, and don't know where you need it.
Mark
Gladstone Park - Vic
But I work over in laverton hence the north west kind of drive thought there every day

i have the 6+ and the 2+ MKOL bottles and love having the "spare"

i have them both in use, the 6 is on the fridge and the 2 does rapid carbonation and keg cleaning duty.

pretty unlikely i would have both go empty at the same time.... but might happen one day.
apart from swaps i am lucky to have two refillers placers nearby if needed

if you have the spare $ i would get a 6kg one

I have a 6.8kg MKOL cylinder and that's it at the moment. I did think about getting another smaller 2.whatever kg one as well just as a spare but I don't know if I will yet. I only have a 3 keg kegerator and just carb them as they go in at serving pressure. The kegerator is set to -1C, but it rises to 1C before it comes down again so I guess they're sitting around 0C. I also use it for cleaning purposes. Maybe one day I'll grab a small one as a spare but I'm happy with the one for now.

In the case of the OP it sounds like the large one is the way to go to me...

Interested in this bc I'm also in melbourne's West & need to buy a co2 bottle soon. I had been considering the larger KK bottle, but not if I can't swap/fill it around here. I see Grain and Grape stock MKOL - presumably they only swap that brand?

Prince Imperial said:
Interested in this bc I'm also in melbourne's West & need to buy a co2 bottle soon. I had been considering the larger KK bottle, but not if I can't swap/fill it around here. I see Grain and Grape stock MKOL - presumably they only swap that brand?
Yep grain and grape only swap the smaller Kk bottle, I paid a visit to brew barn in hoppers crossing yesterday and they can refill co2 bottles, so that may be the best option. They also do the swap as well.

tateg said:
Yep grain and grape only swap the smaller Kk bottle, I paid a visit to brew barn in hoppers crossing yesterday and they can refill co2 bottles, so that may be the best option. They also do the swap as well.
Nice one, thanks

I'm a fan of two of the smaller 2.6kg bottles. 2.6kg is good for over 20kegs, I avg less than a keg a week, so a 2.6kg is approx 6 months supply of CO2. I have 2 kegerators, with the second one most often being used just as a fridge. Either way, I have the second bottle running on the second fridge to keep me in supply /or second bottle waiting for backup on the first fridge. If you do get a leak in the system, you only lose a max of 2.6kg CO2, not 6kg.

Rocker1986 said:
I have a 6.8kg MKOL cylinder and that's it at the moment. I did think about getting another smaller 2.whatever kg one as well just as a spare but I don't know if I will yet. I only have a 3 keg kegerator and just carb them as they go in at serving pressure. The kegerator is set to -1C, but it rises to 1C before it comes down again so I guess they're sitting around 0C. I also use it for cleaning purposes. Maybe one day I'll grab a small one as a spare but I'm happy with the one for now.

In the case of the OP it sounds like the large one is the way to go to me...
You serve your beer at 0 degrees? WTF?? Are you serving VB and need to ensure nobody can taste it??

WitWonder said:
You serve your beer at 0 degrees? WTF?? Are you serving VB and need to ensure nobody can taste it??
Have my fridge set at 5.5C, which is cold enough for beers I like cold, but way too cold for a lot of others, have to let them warm up first . When I first started I to set it low ( @ 2.0C), I think because it's what you are used to from pubs and get conditioned to it. As I started warming the fridge up 1C at a time I realized that colder is not better.
I have the 6.8kg bottle outside the fridge, get it filled at fire extinguisher place for @ $45. Recently picked up another 6.8kg bottle for my brother on gumtree, only to find it failed the pressure test due to a hairline fracture, not real happy about that. The fire ext. shop sell converted extinguishers with a proper valve for $150 full which seems OK. My 6.8kg bottle lasts over a year, and that's force carbing both my brothers and my beers. It's set up with a TEE with both gas/liquid disconnects for cleaning/carbing, with the secondary reg set at @ 300. Inside the fridge is a set of 4 secondary regulators to allow for different pressure to all 4 kegs.

WitWonder said:
Heh. Well, with the thing being outside, and factoring in warm glasses etc. by the time it hits the glass it's probably sitting about 4-5C anyway. I also brew a fair amount of pilsners which are better served cold. I do brew a fair number of pale ales too. It's just my preference for them to be colder, not like it takes long for them to warm up in this weather anyway.

At the end of the day, we are brewing for ourselves and our own preferences. :rolleyes:

Back