Co2 Cylinder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breaky

Reaction score
Howdy all,
I 've just had what I think is the score of the century!! While on my never ending search for anything that can be used for brewing, I came across an old co2 cylinder and thought I'd buy it on the off chance that it was ok.
Anyway , I took it to the testing station and guess what - it passed!! I'm now the proud owner of an F size co2 cylinder - thats a cylinder that holds 34 kg's of co2!!!!!! So for 200 bucks all up (that's 2 years rental)Ive got over 80 brews or 4 years of carefree brewing :p Luckily enough in Adelaide this particular testing ststion hsa seen the oportunity to break the monopoly that BOC has on the co2 market and has begun to sell co2 to anyone with a cylinder

Up until now I've been using a converted 2.5 kg fire extinguisher which I'd like to keep as part of my portable party machine (I just love this hobby!!) So my question is this - Do any of you fellers have any idea as to how I can fill my extinguisher from my master cylinder? I presume that I need some sort if high pressure hose and connectons . Any ideas if what I need and where I can get this stuff?

Fhanks all

Breaky - who cant stop smiling :D

Beautiful work.

Did I read you right, 34kg? That is a lot more than 80 brews!

I have never transferred myself but from people that have, you have to compensate for lack of dip tube by turning the big bottle upside down (you want to transfer liquid CO2 not gas).

Be careful not to kill yourself in the process - CO2 is stored at high pressure.

If this hasn't already been mentioned, the deal you can get on rental from melbourne HBS's is $15/year. They are old, steel bottles but a lot better than paying $100/year.

Have never done CO2 but have done LPG.

You will need adaptors and a transfer pipe. You will need to bleed off the CO2 vapour to allow the liquid to go into the cylinder.

During the transfer, the liquid gets very cold, your transfer pipe need to be able to cope. Also, whatever fluid is in the transfer pipe is lost when you shut off the valves.

It would probably be easier for you to take the fire extinguisher to the same place as your big cylinder and get it filled there.

THREAD HIJACK (Sorry)

While we are on the subject of CO2 Cylinders. Does anyone know the details/prices for Queensland and where I might enquire about it?

END THREAD HIJACK

breaky - Sounds like you have hit the jackpot. WELL DONE!~

I have bought the transfer line and couplings that are made for transfering from one bottle to another.
They are braded SS and cost a bit , but I find it worth it as I can now transfer CO2 safely.

I can fill from a bottle at work so after a few fills it will pay for it's self , cost me around $100

Batz

why not tell us all about this testing station...

Well I live 3500Km from SA but I bet it's the one at Lonsdale , been talked about on the forum enough times

Well I live 3500Km from SA but I bet it's the one at Lonsdale , been talked about on the forum enough times
Yep , right on the money Batz. Its the one at lonsdale. If you've got your own cylinder he'll fill it for you. Here's the phone # and address for anyone who wants to make an enquiry

17 Meyer Rd
LOnsdale
S.A.
ph: 83845474

Ask to speak to Wolf.......seriously!!

Breaky

Hi Breaky I think you should be able to get your fire extinguisher filled at the same testting station, the last time I was there he had some ready to fill. Cheers Glenn.

sluggerdog said:
THREAD HIJACK (Sorry)

While we are on the subject of CO2 Cylinders. Does anyone know the details/prices for Queensland and where I might enquire about it?

END THREAD HIJACK

breaky - Sounds like you have hit the jackpot. WELL DONE!~
Slugger,

I got my fire extinguisher from Blaze Fire Protection at Chetwynd St, Loganholme. Call Steve on 0413449797 and tell him what you want and what you want it for, then he'll call you when the right cylinder comes in. It has to be the one with the right head that fits a CO2 regulator. Make sure you ask him to remove the dip tube. I got a 5kg extinguisher with dip tube removed, and filled for $110.

Cheers - Snow

For WA guys, Ultimate air in Ozzie Park are now filling cylinders including sodastream at a better price than Coles.

Latest posts

Back