Co2 Cylinder - Rental Or Not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so whats the best way to go for co2 rental or buy from supagas??

i think the supagas option is best??

ok so whats the best way to go for co2 rental or buy from supagas??

i think the supagas option is best??

How much gas do you need? I run a little kegking one and reckon i would get it filled about 4 times year. Cost $169 new, full, delivered. Cost about $19 - $26 fill depending where i go. For the most part, pet stores. I would take a guess they are more than a typical bulk output place, but cheap enough for me not to care.

i have a 6kg "supagas" bottle ,when it's empty i just take it back and get it refilled,and a 540g bottle as a standby

i have a 6kg "supagas" bottle ,when it's empty i just take it back and get it refilled,and a 540g bottle as a standby

supa gas is a good opion i think i will go get one tomorrow $180 for cylinder and 50 to fill her up...

supa gas is a good opion i think i will go get one tomorrow $180 for cylinder and 50 to fill her up...

They are a good option, I rented a 10kg one for 3 years and ended up buying two 6kg ones. One is for ageing beers in my cool-room and the other for my keggorator. Supa gas has only just started stamping the 6kg ones with customer owned and are getting rid of them. Not sure how long they will have them for as my Rep told me to get them quick. They work out a lot more cheaper in the long run as the rental is like $140 or something a year.

Pet shops? I might give that a try. I bought a bottle from ebay (kegking) and BOC (pricks) won't refil it, even though it had 9 1/2 yeqars ledt on it's compliance stamp...
Local CHUBB fire will refil, but they have to freight it to Hobart and back and it costs me $50 and takes 4-5 days.

Im looking at my options for a co2 cylinder too at the moment. I figure my cheapest option currently is to buy a brand new keg king 6kg cylinder thats full for $199 ( got the price quoted today). If you spend over $200 with them its free postage to you nearest capital city which for me is brisbane. Only thing i didnt ask when i was on the phone was if the cylinder is steel or aluminium. Not in any way related to keg king at all and if there is a cheaper option for buying a new 6kg cylinder with postage to brisbane or gladstone qld for less than 200 i will jump on it... just my 2c

Pet shops? I might give that a try. I bought a bottle from ebay (kegking) and BOC (pricks) won't refil it, even though it had 9 1/2 yeqars ledt on it's compliance stamp...
Local CHUBB fire will refil, but they have to freight it to Hobart and back and it costs me $50 and takes 4-5 days.

Alot of big pet stores that deal in reptiles and large water setups will have co2 stations for customer filling. They use c02 to kill rats etc for pets like snakes, and c02 in disolved solution for big tank setups with plants etc.

Im looking at my options for a co2 cylinder too at the moment. I figure my cheapest option currently is to buy a brand new keg king 6kg cylinder thats full for $199 ( got the price quoted today).

You sure this is for the 6kg? Price list on the keg king website says this is for the 2.6kg. Otherwise I will be giving them a call tomorrow.

Does anyone know if there a link to the supagas CO2 sales? I have found their standard flyer and it looks like their minimum is 10kg. Is the 6kg a phone only sale?

You sure this is for the 6kg? Price list on the keg king website says this is for the 2.6kg. Otherwise I will be giving them a call tomorrow.

Does anyone know if there a link to the supagas CO2 sales? I have found their standard flyer and it looks like their minimum is 10kg. Is the 6kg a phone only sale?

Same here, if it's the 6kg one, and comes full as do the smaller ones i'll buy one too.

Yeah i rang the chick at keg king today she said $199 for the 6kg bottle full and then said if i bought something else to make my total bill over $200 i would get free postage and handling. However when i was talking to the chick it was easy to gather from her accent she was asian and she asked me to repeat myself a couple times so im guessing she was finding it difficult to understand my English.

Yeah i rang the chick at keg king today she said $199 for the 6kg bottle full and then said if i bought something else to make my total bill over $200 i would get free postage and handling. However when i was talking to the chick it was easy to gather from her accent she was asian and she asked me to repeat myself a couple times so im guessing she was finding it difficult to understand my English.

I'm sold, throw in a check valve and you'll be laughing. I'll call them tomorrow before the boss realises their staff are almost giving this stuff away.

Cheers

This is kegking correct? If so, i'm upgrading from the little one! Solid deal, save the extra $49 the 6kg one normally costs ($249 with free delivery).

The supagas 6Lt ones are an over the phone sale with COD or pick up. They obviously are just getting rid of the 6kg range from there rentals and are selling them out right as a customer owned bottles. If you ring them a rep should be able to drop one off too your house, I live 3 hours from Melbourne and the rep had some clients from pubs up here so he dropped them off on his way past. It was a cash only sale with legit owner receipts $180 filled and delivered.

Did anyone end up calling up KK to confirm the price of the 6kg cylinder?

Cheers

FYI wood88, here is an email I got a couple of months ago from Bob at Eversafe Fire Protection in Maddington..

Yes we still do a co2 fire extinguisher for home brew, basically we supply a fire extinguisher that the standard regulator just screws onto, it will take 2-3 days tho to get a cylinder ready as we have to remove the dip tube from the cylinder and get it refilled otherwise you will have frozen beer

A brand new 5.0kg Co2 fire extinguisher suitable for beer
@ $230.00 each + GST

Or

A second hand 5.0kg Co2 fire extinguisher suitable for beer
@ $160.00 each + GST
Pressure tested and refilled this year

The most expensive part is buying the cylinder once you own a cylinder they are approx. $40.00 + GST for a refill however every 5 years the cylinder needs to be pressure tested and refilled which also costs more around $100.00 + GST so I hope this helps.

Regards

Robert Mason
Operations Manager

So a secondhand 5kg cylinder for $176 (with GST). I'm gonna go one myself come tax time I think..

There are disposable gas bottles used for welding and refrigeration purging with nitrogen co2 2.2 ltr .

Back