Co2 Cylinder - Rental Or Not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood88

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question are all co2 bottles that have boc air on them rentals or can you get ones which are owned outright?

As im looking to buy one and it has boc on the sticker.

IMAG0013.jpg

Cheers

Technically/Legally, i have no idea.....

BUT, id think of it in the same way as having an illegal CUB, LN, TOOHEY etc. keg in your brewery. Unless its been signed off from by the owner, in this case BOC / Air Liquide, then id say it belongs to them and someone will be accountable for it one day.
If it was me, id rather not be in possesion of it when that day comes...

HOWEVER, if there is paperwork, or some other alternative that states clearly that the person you are buying it from owns it and therefore allowed to sell it, then all should be sweet. Otherwise, id expect as soon as you go to get it refilled, warning signs and sirens will go off.

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question are all co2 bottles that have boc air on them rentals or can you get ones which are owned outright?

View attachment 53346

Cheers

That looks like it belongs to BOC so don't buy it.
You can purchase cylinders outright but you may have a hell of a time getting them filled.

Thanks guys, just as I thought.
Will have to keep on looking :) better than buying one that I cant refill though

If you want / need gas on the cheap, try fire extinguishers (CO2), there are many places that will refill them for you if you can convince them (give them some free beer) that no harm will be done - so to speak.

I have used the fire extinguisher before, and the topic comes up regularly, but have had to go back to BOC for another big ass tank due to a leak that is now sorted. Once this bottle is empty, fire extinguisher here i come (again)...

There's a thread here about buying fire extinguishers and who to deal with in Perth. Check through it - I'm pretty sure it's well cheaper than a MKOL cylinder.

I've heard ppl talk about fire extinguishers and Paul from the testing centre.
But I heard that all fire extinguishers leak around the neck when left on...any truth to this?

cheers

i have a 5kg one (out of date but full of gas) i use for force carbing, i dont leave it on and it has not leaked.
i just give it a shot of 40psi shake and roll, give it another shot and repeat for a couple of mins till i reckon it fairly carbed

i have a little "real" bottle (2kg?) i use to serve with but i dont really leave that on either. just a squirt of gas and pour then a bit more gas when needed

but once the 2 extinguishers i have are empty i reckon i will be buying a 6kg keg king one or something
i only got the ex's as they were $10

I've heard ppl talk about fire extinguishers and Paul from the testing centre.
But I heard that all fire extinguishers leak around the neck when left on...any truth to this?

cheers
I've used 4 extinguishers.

2 leaked ... one of them leaked A LOT.

the other 2 were sound.

I think it is the luck of the draw.

I've used 4 extinguishers.

2 leaked ... one of them leaked A LOT.

the other 2 were sound.

I think it is the luck of the draw.

I pulled mine out of a tip bin. It was from a restaurant that had been closed for many years. I inquired a local soda distributor about what they do with CO2 tanks, he said they destroy them if they leak or are too old. Most places go with CO2 pumps and syrup in a bag now. Cheaper, safer and more reliable.

The tank I found was new in 1990 and hadn't been refilled since 1996. The brand of soda doesn't exist anymore. I paid the fee for re-certification. It's mine

Hey Guys,

Cheers

I bought a Supergas cylinder and it is stamped "Customer Owned" would imagine BOC would do something similar if they sold cylinders.

I contacted Boc and they said they don't sell any cylinders.
They are all rented and if you see any for sale to send them the link.

Whilst i don't know for sure, i've always suspected it was like that.

I've never heard of them selling a gas bottle to a customer....

why would they when they can make a crapload of money by charging the same customer rental on the bottle? (plus gas costs)

Supagas sells 6kg ones for $180 each and cost $50 to fill, they have to send them away depending on the depot you send them to to get refilled, I'm planning on getting 2 of them should work out cheaper than hiring a 10kg one over the period of the year..

Supagas sells 6kg ones for $180 each and cost $50 to fill, they have to send them away depending on the depot you send them to to get refilled

Not wanting to sound like a prick, but that sounds like some kind of a "swap n go" type principal.

They (swap n go) certainly make there money somewhere.....

Not wanting to sound like a prick, but that sounds like some kind of a "swap n go" type principal.

Fair call.. 10kg costs about $140 a year plus refill at $45, so owning a 6kg one for $180 and refilling for an extra $5 even though its smaller still works out cheaper in the long run, unless you are using a heap of gas!

Rip the sticker off. Problem solved.

Assuming they don't emboss 'em

All cylinders must be pressure tested by law (every 10 years I think) so it would be natural for a swap & go system as even if you own the cylinder I believe the seller BOC/Supagas etc is still responsible for its continued pressure testing, assuming it is returned to them within the testing period.

No good ripping a sticker off.
All bottles are owned or rented..
They must be certified ..in date and......RENTAL PAID....
Bottles are marked and stamped...STICKERS MEAN THEY ARE OWNED BY..???
Only way to get them filled is ILLEGALLY.....
Forget it

Cheers
PJ

Latest posts

Back