Co2 Cylinder Problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashley_leask

Reaction score
Hi All,

Got my cylinder refilled before Christmas, a couple of days before I went away. When I got home I noticed the outflow from the cylinder without the regulator attached wasn't the usual hard burst of gas when opened just a limp sort of dribble but didn't have time to look into it. Was fine prior to the refill, as I opened the cylinder tap before I took it in to check if it was completely empty, and got the burst of gas you'd expect.

I've come home today to two kegs of flat beer. Cylinder by weight is still full, so no leak issues, but it seems like some kind of blockage or something restricting the outflow from the CO2 tank.

My questions are, what can I safely do to test/fix myself, and where can I go in Ipswich (or Brisbane) to get it looked at? Not sure I want to take it back to where I got it filled.

Cheers, and hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year!

I'd take it back to the refiller and have them check it out,check your tap handle and see if its actually opening the valve and not slipping on the shaft

Before you get too carried away just how sure are you that the bottle if full? Youre not relying on the weight stamped on the bottle are you.
Take the reg off, turn the bottle upside down, give it a shake crack the valve gently and watch where its pointing liquid CO2 is around -78oC.

If as you say the bottle is full the blockage could be congealed grease left over from manufacturing, in the case of some of the inexpensive steel bottles we have found swarf left over from thread cutting, and sometimes the problem has been frozen lubricant from poorly maintained filling equipment, once or twice over zealous use of thread tape.

If you really cant get any gas out it is possible to open the burst disc cover and vent the bottle.
Be very careful, just open it with a spanner when gas starts to flow leave it to drain dont remove the cover entirely.
When the bottle is empty remove the valve and clean it thoroughly. You will probably need to take the handle off then remove the spindle there will be crap under it. Be careful what you clean with, you dont want to scratch the seat of the valve.
MHB

Before you get too carried away just how sure are you that the bottle if full? Youre not relying on the weight stamped on the bottle are you.
Take the reg off, turn the bottle upside down, give it a shake crack the valve gently and watch where its pointing liquid CO2 is around -78oC.

If as you say the bottle is full the blockage could be congealed grease left over from manufacturing, in the case of some of the inexpensive steel bottles we have found swarf left over from thread cutting, and sometimes the problem has been frozen lubricant from poorly maintained filling equipment, once or twice over zealous use of thread tape.

If you really cant get any gas out it is possible to open the burst disc cover and vent the bottle.
Be very careful, just open it with a spanner when gas starts to flow leave it to drain dont remove the cover entirely.
When the bottle is empty remove the valve and clean it thoroughly. You will probably need to take the handle off then remove the spindle there will be crap under it. Be careful what you clean with, you dont want to scratch the seat of the valve.
MHB

all excellent information .....
however, .. unless you work on this sort of gear .. my advice is take it back to your refiller and get them to fix it.

Liquid CO2 is deadily shit man.

MHB

Thanks for the reply. I weighed the cylinder when it was (almost) empty, 7.3kg. It's 9.8 now. I can get some flow, just seems to be restricted somehow. The bottle is a Keg King bottle I bought new in May, this was the first refill.

Thanks for the reply. I weighed the cylinder when it was (almost) empty, 7.3kg. It's 9.8 now. I can get some flow, just seems to be restricted somehow. The bottle is a Keg King bottle I bought new in May, this was the first refill.

Being a kegking, is there a small hex head bolt inside the gas outlet on the bottle? Was on mine, same problem after first fill. Shut off cylinder, removed and chucked it. Problem solved. This same bolt also prevented the fill the first time. My guess is the bolt was pushed in to some extent during the fill process, and then prevented the correct output of gas.

Being a kegking, is there a small hex head bolt inside the gas outlet on the bottle? Was on mine, same problem after first fill. Shut off cylinder, removed and chucked it. Problem solved. This same bolt also prevented the fill the first time. My guess is the bolt was pushed in to some extent during the fill process, and then prevented the correct output of gas.

Seems like the same thing, the little bolt down the middle of the outlet is pushed right in. Moves back and forth a little bit, but no way I can see to get it out.

IMG_0016_1_.JPG

Excuse the crappy iPhone pic. Is the same as yours? How did you remove it?

Thats the residual pressure valve just unscrew it with an M6 Allen Key, could be the cause of the problem, hope so as that would be an easy fix.
If you dont replace it your bottle will need testing every 5 instead of 10 years, most of the ones that come through here have failed before the first fill.
Mark

so if at five years age you replace it before every fill you should be fine for another five years? :p

personally i'd just get it re-tested of course... no such thing as too safe or too certain with that kind of pressure vessel

That is not funny because people do shit like that all the time and it is not them who is going to get hurt. It is the person who is filling it, who is just doing their job.

Thats the residual pressure valve just unscrew it with an M6 Allen Key, could be the cause of the problem, hope so as that would be an easy fix.
If you dont replace it your bottle will need testing every 5 instead of 10 years, most of the ones that come through here have failed before the first fill.
Mark

You're a legend Mark. That valve assembly was screwed tightly together, then the valve itself was screwed tightly into the socket as well. Couple of turns to loosen each of them it's now working perfectly.

Thanks!

Back