Co2 Cylinder Options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
I have just purchased a shiny new kegging setup which is my wifes Xmas present to me :super: Now I need to know a few things.

Basically the system I have bought is a complete start up job which includes all I need to get going (I think) apart from a fridge and CO2.

What I have bought is the following (cost $440 inc freight) :beerbang:

Two fully reconditioned postmix 19 litre kegs, with ball lock posts, hatch lid and pressure relief valves, both kegs in excellent perfect working order with brand new seals etc.

One Brand new, Beer (outlet) Ball lock connection.

One Brand new, Gas (inlet) Ball lock connection.

One Brand new, boxed "Harris 601" Co2 regulator (dual gauge) and a spare tank washer.

Two metres of Brand new 5mm "Flexmaster II" Beer line

Three metres of Brand new 6mm "Flexmaster II" Gas line.

Six Brand New "O" clips for the sealing of Gas & Beer lines.

Two Brand New rubber gromets, for sealing of the fridge, for the gas line.

Pluto style SS gun and SS holster

Am I missing anything? :ph34r:

I am currently looking in to the options for CO2 and from reading the archives here and on other sites it seems that BOC, Air Liquide or a modified soda stream bottle are the go.
Where do you other Brisbane based keggers get your CO2 and how much is it?

Really looking forward to my first pour, I am going to brew up a little something next weekend in preparation for this.

Sounds like you are good to go :beerbang:

I am currently looking in to the options for CO2 and from reading the archives here and on other sites it seems that BOC, Air Liquide or a modified soda stream bottle are the go.

You could also go the fire extinguisher route or Quality Home Brew Supplies sells 10kg co2 cylinders but I'm not sure how much.

Jye said:
Sounds like you are good to go :beerbang:

You could also go the fire extinguisher route or Quality Home Brew Supplies sells 10kg co2 cylinders but I'm not sure how much.
[post="86013"][/post]​

Unfortunately no more :(

Brizbrew,

I rent from BOC - just over $100 a year & approx $30 a refill - I'm very tempted to buy a new cylinder from Kegs on legs - just a shame it's supplied empty to Brisbane buyers...

Ross said:
Brizbrew,

I rent from BOC - just over $100 a year & approx $30 a refill - I'm very tempted to buy a new cylinder from Kegs on legs - just a shame it's supplied empty to Brisbane buyers...
[post="86030"][/post]​

Did they drop the price a little for the fact they're empty??

Isnt there a Qld agent??

Brizbrew, it will depend on whether you want to start small or start big. I did a comparison of most of the gas options and generally the more you spend on the cylinder (either thru purchase or annual rental), the cheaper the fills are per KG of gas. I've still got the spreadsheet, PM me if you want a copy.

In melbourne, the rental on a CO2 bottle is under $20. I have collected a couple of other foreigner CO2 bottles (still in test) but have never bothered.

I just finished a 4.5 kg bottle after 30 kegs. I now have a 9kg.

On the same deal SOS.

Let's just hope that Victoria doesn't get wind of the rest of the country. I know that the standard Air Liquide deal is $100 year rental too. I know this because they sent me a statement expecting me to pay it after my 5 year agreement had expired <_< . I phoned them and told them I got my gas through G&G and the bill was amended to $20

Warren -

Has anyone taken a Grain & Grape bottle outside of the State & more importantly, have you been successful in exchanging it for a full one once empty?

Ross.

I'm very surprised that HB stores in other states can't/aren't able to work out similar deals with Air Liquide. Surely their rental criteria would have to be the same Oz wide. :unsure: :unsure:

Driving from Qld. to Vic would be pretty costly for 9kg of CO2. :lol:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Ross.

I'm very surprised that HB stores in other states can't/aren't able to work out similar deals with Air Liquide. Surely their rental criteria would have to be the same Oz wide. :unsure: :unsure:

Driving from Qld. to Vic would be pretty costly for 9kg of CO2. :lol:

Warren -
[post="86215"][/post]​

No, the steel bottles are not an available option in Qld. i have friends who regularly drive up from Melbourne - just wondering if the local gas swap would notice or care if the return bottle was steel?

& you don't need to go through G&G. Air liquide will do the deal direct, just not outside of Victoria...

Ross said:
just wondering if the local gas swap would notice or care if the return bottle was steel?
[post="86218"][/post]​

They would when they had to lift it. :D Those bloody things are heavy. Even when they're empty :eek:

Warren -

I am liking the sound of Air-up http://www.air-up.com.au/home_brew.html as they have a seller and filler local to me I would own the cylinder and top ups are $20.
2.3kg worth of co2 would last me quite a while as I would not be a high user as mostly I only have friends round now and again. I mainly have a few beers after work and a binge on the weekends. Also it would be small and light enough to be portable.
Has anyone used this system or give it a thumbs up? I am very tempted. B)

Brizbrew said:
I am liking the sound of Air-up http://www.air-up.com.au/home_brew.html as they have a seller and filler local to me I would own the cylinder and top ups are $20.
2.3kg worth of co2 would last me quite a while as I would not be a high user as mostly I only have friends round now and again. I mainly have a few beers after work and a binge on the weekends. Also it would be small and light enough to be portable.
[post="86339"][/post]​

Brizbrew,

I think you'll be quite surprised how much you'll end up using - I personally think air-up is the worst option. If you have the initial money, go kegs on legs, or if not, hire from BOC on a 3 month basis, which leaves you the option to switch quicker at a later date if you so desire...

I use air liquide as a rental 100 bones a year and i dont know how much it is to refill as I have had my system for two years and never had to do it!!!! My situtation probably very similar to you bris.

well, when I was considering what I'll get, I thought that hiring CO2 cylinders is not worth it, so I decided to buy one.

100_0192__Small_.JPG

It's a small cylinder, cost me $150, about right for how much I'll be using it.

Wooo! the pic worked!!

Brizbrew said:
[post="86339"][/post]​

I just bought one from them, yes I am back to kegging and I did not want hire, and $20 a fill for around 18 kegs that will do for me. :)

If your know of anyone with a connection to a pub/club ask them if they can get you one, this is how I got mine and I had no problems taking it to Air Liquide and getting it put over to my name and filled/swapped.

Worked out good, know of other peple who have done the same thing.

Back