CO2 bottle thread size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leyther

Reaction score
I recently got a new 2.6KG CO2 bottle from KL and I ordered a new (cheap) regulator off ebay (Chinese seller). Both have arrived and all looked fine however I cannot for the life of me get the regulator to connect to the bottle, the threads look like they are same or similar size but it will just not screw on. The regulator I have been told is a size G1/2 whatever that is, anyone know the thread size on the CO2 bottles? if its different is it possible to get some sort of converter or am I just screwed with the chinese regulator?

I have complained to the ebay seller, they should not be pedaling this to AU buyers if its incompatible, however I guess its buyer beware, lesson learned.

Bottle thread is correct AU Type-30. I'll be more careful in future, I have a micromatic for my main reg, this was only a 2nd reg for my camping bottle so I was being a bit of a tight-ass, got what I deserve, however I will lodge a complaint with ebay about selling goods not fit for the local market.

You should be able to buy a type 30 nut and change the one on your regulator. A quick look on eBay found one

Just be very careful getting the sprew out of the regulator, they are often put in with Loctite, sometimes you need a bit of heat to get it to let go, if so make sure you take all the parts off the reg that might get heat damaged. Make sure you use the right tools and think before reaching for a hammer.
eBay Link
upload_2018-3-6_15-3-9.png

You should be able to buy a type 30 nut and change the one on your regulator. A quick look on eBay found one

Cheers MHB, I may as well get one and keep as a back up but $20 for a nut, WTF!!!

Probably includes $7-9 for the "Free Freight". Considering that the material is pressure rated to 1/2Mpa I'm not surprised.
Mark

I recently got a new 2.6KG CO2 bottle from KL and I ordered a new (cheap) regulator off ebay (Chinese seller). Both have arrived and all looked fine however I cannot for the life of me get the regulator to connect to the bottle, the threads look like they are same or similar size but it will just not screw on. The regulator I have been told is a size G1/2 whatever that is, anyone know the thread size on the CO2 bottles? if its different is it possible to get some sort of converter or am I just screwed with the chinese regulator?
I've seen these on eBay.
G1/2 IS BSP 1/2inch, it is an industry standard designator (the G*/*) but not what we use under Australian standards for gas handling. Bottles have the "Type ** " for various gasses. You 'should' be able to remove the stem from the regulator and replace it with the correct type but if I remember correctly they're around $50 from BOC, probably cheaper elsewhere.

The KL site is down at the moment but they sell a type 30 stem & nut fairly cheaply...

Back