CO2 Bottle testing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

db73

Reaction score
Has anyone recently had their CO2 bottle recertified?

I'm in North Brisbane and really struggling to find someone to do it.

Check with your local fire extinguisher provider. I get my lpg bottles ( fibreglass ones) checked and certified and CO2 filled/certified with mine, down at Burleigh.

Had some luck

Eversafe at Morningside did it

Tested and refilled for $75

We do the testing an restamping here at Brewman.

The cost is $50 excluding parts, which are rarely required.

The fill depends on the bottle size.

Cheers Steve

Cool I'm Northside can need to test my bottle to certify it. So food grade CO2?

Cool I'm Northside can need to test my bottle to certify it. So food grade CO2?
Looks like $50 is the going rate would think its food grade do they recycle the CO2 from the brewery.

It's hardly worth it these days. The new cylinders are getting so cheap it hardly worth even getting hydro testing done anymore.

I know the 6kg ones that we sell are $99 at the moment and this comes full of gas.

If you want a hydro test you are looking at normally about $50 then to refill the cylinder you will generally pay about $10 per kg of gas. So when you add this together the new cylinder is less expensive.

when my 6kg needs checking will something like a kegland option...
What is the bottle worth before its recertified and say you had 10 bottles would they do it cheaper.

mines an supagas(customer owned) steel bottle weighs alot..thought the newer type might be a better option..this will first time certified

mines an supagas(customer owned) steel bottle weighs alot..thought the newer type might be a better option..this will first time certified
Yes is there an age limit.

Yes is there an age limit.

No actual age limit on the cylinders. For ourselves and many of the gas suppliers like supagas, BOC the working life of a cylinder is considered to be 30 years. With that said if the cylidners keep passing all the tests in the periodic testing intervals then there is nothing to say that the bottle wont last forever.

The two most likely areas to eventually fail are:
1. Hydro test (so if the cylinder suffers plastic deformation during the hydro test then it will fail)
2. Tare weight check( if the cylinders is a certain percentage lighter than the original weight that means too much of the body of the cylinder has corroded and it's no longer in spec)
3. Physical damage to the cylinder (If the cylinder has any physical damage to it it may not pass either.

No actual age limit on the cylinders. For ourselves and many of the gas suppliers like supagas, BOC the working life of a cylinder is considered to be 30 years. With that said if the cylidners keep passing all the tests in the periodic testing intervals then there is nothing to say that the bottle wont last forever.

The two most likely areas to eventually fail are:
1. Hydro test (so if the cylinder suffers plastic deformation during the hydro test then it will fail)
2. Tare weight check( if the cylinders is a certain percentage lighter than the original weight that means too much of the body of the cylinder has corroded and it's no longer in spec)
3. Physical damage to the cylinder (If the cylinder has any physical damage to it it may not pass either.

Would a damaged valve knob constitute damage to cylinder?

Latest posts

Back