Co2 Bottle Leak :o

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3vour3r

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got my CO2 bottle filled yesterday. I bought it second hand but It looks almost brand new, not a scratch on it, so I was really suprised when the guy told me it was leaking where the bottle meets the brass fitting, See attached photo.

I was going to goto a place thats services scuba tanks and fire hydrants, will they fix this. the guy who filled it (owner of a brew your own place) suggested i weld the bottle to the brass fitting. I'm no welder, but i thought welding brass to steel would be hard?

Any suggestions? or should i bite the bullet and buy a new tank?

Cheers guys

leak.jpg

Doesn't look like AUS spec to me. I would discard it without question and get a new AUS standard cylinder. I wouldn't dick around with a pressure enviroment. Serious injury can be had with failure.

Who's the bottle manufacturer? i'd be taking it up with them.

cheers Ross

Edit: just seen your reference to the other thread - Chuck it.

ah man. ok so buying a new bottle seems to be the best option. so I can get a 2.6kg bottle for $190, is that a good price.

also, just curious, but if i drain the gas bottle so it not pressurized, how hard is it to unscrew the brass fitting from the bottle? or are they put on using heat etc? has anyone heard of them being welded before?

Dont even think of trying to weld it, no one in their right mind will ever fill it!
The tap is either thread-taped or O-Ring sealed and both can be repaired/replaced.

Welding would completely change the nature of the metal and render the bottle both unsafe and valueless if it isnt already.
Any decent refiller should be able to tell you if it complies, if it has a DOT or other recognised certification it can probably be retested for compliance with the Australian Standard. We have bottles hydro tested regularly, in fact I have a couple of orphan bottles that are safe and tested and use them haply.
Mark

Back