Co2 balloon and NoChill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I'm staring to think about a automated small system say 12l into packaging but at that size I want all the automation I can build.

I don't want the added complication of plate/counterflow chillers so the obvious option is NoChill

My thought is to flush the cube with Co2 and run wort into it collecting the displaced Co2 so that it's sucked back into the cube as the wort cools this protecting the wort from oxidation.

Has anybody done anything like this? If you know of a link please post it up.

I saw a exbeeriment that suggested No Chill caused grassy off flavours, I've not noticed it when I have no chilled, have you had a problem?

Many Thanks. Aamcle

Last edited:
I'm staring to think about a automated small system say 12l into packaging but at that size I want all the automation I can build.

I don't want the added complication of plate/counterflow chillers so the obvious option is NoChill

My thought is to flush the cube with Co2 and run wort into it collecting the displaced Co2 so that it's sucked back into the cube as the wort cools this protecting the wort from oxidation.

Has anybody done anything like this? If you know of a link please post it up.

I saw a exbeeriment that suggested No Chill caused grassy off flavours, I've not noticed it when I have no chilled, have you had a problem?

Many Thanks. Aamcle
No chill, you will not have the need to purge with co2 just fill to the top of the cube and fit the cap, it will be oxygen free, that's how some folk keep them for an age before using the wort.
When I did no chill I used to fill at about 80C but have since learned that bog standard HDPE cubes are only rated for 65C though there has never seem to be any side effects as most do fill them around 70 -80C.

Why not upscale slightly and go for 15L?

15L cubes are a standard size.

The point is that I don't want to be there to squeeze the cube, ideally I'd like to come back to cool wort and pitch the yeast.

Aamcle

1. Go to local Homebrew shop
2. Tap bank card to eftpos machine
3. They give you 15 litres of cubed wort.

No squeezing required. Wort is cooled and ready for yeast.

I'm in the UK
1, Find some place with it in stock
2, Pay for it about 60 AUD.
3, Pay shipping may be another 30 AUD.

It would have to be the best beer in the world!!

That sucks. Move to Australia!

Well not knowing what kind of space you're working with another option to consider would be brewing larger batches (45-60 litres) and cubing them up in 15 litre cubes. Then you have a stock to pull from when ready to brew your next beer. You could brew up a simple wort that would allow to add dry hops, top up with preboiled steeped grains, and use different yeasts to still get variety.

Catch
I suspect your better off looking at videos of people brewing whilst drinking commercial beer.
Mark

Attachments

• Automation article[1].pdf
    216 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back