C'mon Melbourne!Show me what you can do!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNT650R

Reaction score
Hi mates!
After the nice experience in Sydney and a beautiful trip with my lady in cairns, I am now in Melbourne!
So now it is your turn to tell me the best places for drink good beer!let me know if there are any beer events meetups contests or whatever!Of course I am always glad to meet you guys speak about beer taste some your creations.....
Grazie a tutti
Luigi

There's loads of places. Whereabouts in melbourne are you?

Start with beer deluxe, penny blue and de ja vu in the city, local taphouse in st kilda and bar fred and great northern in north carlton.

Happy to meet for a beer if you are here for a few weeks.

Great Britain in Richmond.The park in werribee,Alehouse Project brunswick,two brothers moorabbin,Holgates woodend

Thanks guys!
I live in Thornbury and I think to stay here for few months...It's funny because now I have no more plans..I'm applying for my job all over the country so if anyone answer I'm ready to leave melbourne tomorrow but if it doesn't happen I could stay here for long...Melboure is nice I have a nice house and few friends here so..

If your around for a while - go along to one of the brew club meetings. Great place to meet a heap of brewers in one place - and try their brews.

Melbourne Brewers is last Wednesday of the month - so 25/9. But it is a bit of a trek out to the eastern suburbs (but easily doable by public transport)

Or maybe one of the other clubs is closer - Maybe one of thier members can/will post

If you're in Thornbury: there's the 3 Ravens Brewery in Thornbury itself. Carwyn Cellars on High St have an interesting selection if you just want a bottle shop occasionally.
Mountain Goat Brewery in Richmond is a stand-out brewery to visit. Open wednesday & friday nights for drinks by the side of the equipment. Busy, but got a great vibe.

OT - FWIW, if you're missing a bit of (authentic?) Italian food, there's a great little place on High st, Thornbury, called Umberto.

Since you're on the good side of the city:

The Greater Northern, Carlton (Best pub for sports, with good food and no wankers)
Mountain Goat, Richmond (My #1 beer destination)
Local Taphouse, St Kilda (Beer nirvana - wrong side of the yarra though)
Great Britain, Richmond (Coolest pub with good beer!)

For takeaways - look for the blackheart and sparrows bottle shops, terrible name, great selection!

Bar Fred used to be good, suppose it's still OK

manticle said:
What happened to fred? Haven't been for a couple of years.
Sal the owner who has always been crazy got crazier!!! No $5 pizzas anymore, $6-8-10. No big tables. Closes early and at weird hours at their discretion. Menu changes on a whim or not at all :/

Used to love that place go for 1 x $5 hightail ale and 1 x $5 margherita (one of the best in town!) and end up staying for 5 x $5 hightail ales and 2 x $5 margheritas!!!

cool guys!
for what you are telling me I rekon to be in the right place!!!
thank you very much!!
wow 3 raven is at 1.3ks from my place!!!Ithat's awesome!I have to go there!!maybe tomorrow!
I already taste few beers of mountain goat they were always awesome, it will be great so see them "in action" and taste some beers directly!

I saw bar Umberto ahah looks funny!but when I miss italian food...I start to cook! :D tonight for me and my mates I will cook Risotto asparagus and prawns!!the other day ossobuco alla milanse with polenta!I haven't see the price of Umberto yet but usually italian restaurant are very expensive...I can cook something special for all my mates and save some bucks again for a good beer! :)

anyway better to comeback to speak about beer!

TNT650R said:
I saw bar Umberto ahah looks funny!but when I miss italian food...I start to cook! :D tonight for me and my mates I will cook Risotto asparagus and prawns!!the other day ossobuco alla milanse with polenta! I haven't see the price of Umberto yet but usually italian restaurant are very expensive..
Sounds great! If you're good in the kitchen, then you probably don't need to bother with an italian restaurant in melbourne! :lol:
I wouldn't have said Umberto is expensive, but it depends what you're used to.
If you do go to Umberto, try their Penne Fungi. If you have a recipe for that or better, feel free to PM me! Their's is the only version i've tried that's good.

mmmh the big problem here for make a good pasta or risotto with fungHI(not fungi) is to find real wild PORCINI that are the best quality of funghi we have lots of wild funghi in our bushes...When I was in Brisee I bought some dry funghi and they were low quality and high price...
unfortunatly if u use normal funghi from supermarket you loose all the flavour...
but anyway....cook good penne with mushrooms is easy if you have the right mushrooms.. I supposed that he will serve that also with cream...
you have a PM!try and tell me what is happen!

My friend.
In Italy and porcini season.
This year also speak of excellent collections of tartufi, but you do not know if I like them!
But the Cassoeula you have not done in Australia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassoeula
I'll make a risotto with porcini mushrooms with a beer thinking of you ... my friend! :party:

Bongiorno Luigi!

You're not far from me... I'm in Reservoir, just near the Preston border.

Be sure to try these local places, in order of preference:

• The Terminus Hotel, Clifton Hill - has around 12-15 craft beers on tap and an very good kitchen. Just be aware that the beer garden menu is different from the bar and restaurant menu.
  • Raccoon Club, Preston - usually 4-5 Victorian craft beers on tap
  • Wesley Anne, Northcote - will have 4-5 craft beers on tap, but is a pretty funky place
  • The Peacock, Northcote - 5-6 craft beers on tap.
The best local bottle shop is Harvest Wine and Liquor, opposite the Peacock in Northcote.

My wife and I have just returned from 10-nights in Italia and 9-nights in Spain... welcome to Australia!

This thread makes me miss my home town.

Melbourne, sweet Melbourne. City of the Gods.

For some local homebrew and preserving gear dont miss costante . Next to Bell Station. Was in there the other day. They have very nice Italian made stainless steel conicals for 600. Good mash paddles and anything for making Italian food. I bought my prosciutto knife from them and it is very good quality. They are very nice and always happy to help. For a little hidden gem go down for a coffee and a wander at CERES. Google it to find it. You may be able to get a veggie plot down there and grow something.

Latest posts

Back