Cloudy Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtrabyte

Reaction score
My latest batch of wort I ran into my fermenter from my kettle looks very cloudy, it is normally quite clear. I only use hop pellets and I normally use bittering hops at 60 minutes, add hops at 20 minutes, Iris Moss at 15 then add hops at flame out. The only thing I changed from my usual process was adding Iris Moss at 15 them add hops at 10 minutes, 5 minutes and the flame out. Could the late hops addition be the cause of the haziness? Its fermenting normally and tastes normal at this early stage.

quite a few of mine turn out cloudy, have no idea what causes it (i do runoffs in a jug when sparging till its clear) but if you keg it usually clears up in about 2-3 weeks - usually just as the last pots being poured too!

just close your eyes and think of bright blue skys when drinking it.

Did you take any gravity readings - did you get a good conversion / are you using a new brand or different sack of malt?

Cheers,
TL

Did you take any gravity readings - did you get a good conversion / are you using a new brand or different sack of malt?

Cheers,
TL

Gravity was 1.041
Good conversion 84%
New bag Baird's ale malt

Gravity was 1.041
Good conversion 84%
New bag Baird's ale malt

Brewed last week with Bairds MO and yet again I cant believe the haze or mud more correctly.
Despite a protein rest and a hard 90 min boil which was threatening to jump out of the kettle it made no difference.
Cant wait to use this bag up <_<
BB

My latest batch of wort I ran into my fermenter from my kettle looks very cloudy, it is normally quite clear. I only use hop pellets and I normally use bittering hops at 60 minutes, add hops at 20 minutes, Iris Moss at 15 then add hops at flame out. The only thing I changed from my usual process was adding Iris Moss at 15 them add hops at 10 minutes, 5 minutes and the flame out. Could the late hops addition be the cause of the haziness? Its fermenting normally and tastes normal at this early stage.

Personally I would be more concerned on how it was once fermented.I am still learning the tricks of the "dark side" having only made succesfully 4 out of 6 AG's. What I have found is the wort runs clear for me but once its in the keg and gassed it is hazy/cloudy. My last AG I used gelatine and it has all but solved my hazy/cloudy problem. Thats my 0.5c worth.

BYB

If you dumped half a kilo of hops in secondary...you might get some haze. Dry hopping can cause some haze, late hop additions practically zilch. If the yeast is half decent it'll flocc it out.

The Irish Moss should only be in for the last 10 mins. Any longer can reverse the flocculation process. Also, what was your water profile (calcium etc) and mash pH?

Wes

The Irish Moss should only be in for the last 10 mins. Any longer can reverse the flocculation process. Also, what was your water profile (calcium etc) and mash pH?

Wes

I used Wyeast 1028. Not sure of the Mash Ph, I used 2 teaspoons of Gypsum as per usual in the mash. Thanks for the tip, I will add the Irish Moss in at 10 to go.

Brewed last week with Bairds MO and yet again I cant believe the haze or mud more correctly.

I have had this problem with MO before and so has Ross. This may be another bad match of malt?

Back