Cloudy Pilsner?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrnmrsturbo

Reaction score
Just looking for a reason why a clear from the boil 100% pilsner with whirfloc added 5 min from end of boil is cloudy after fermentation?

Is it cold?

Has it been transferred from trub?

Is it finished, carbonated and ready?

Was it lagered?

Has it been fined?

What stage is it at?

More info required

Just looking for a reason why a clear from the boil 100% pilsner with whirfloc added 5 min from end of boil is cloudy after fermentation?

Need a bit more detail...
Did you crash chill?

How long since fermentation finished?

Have you bottle conditioned/kegged?

EDIT: Andrew beat me to it!

It's just gone into kegsWas racked at 7 daysKegged at 17 daysOnly down to 15' for last few days2nd gen Ale yeast
Yes looks like suspended yeastTaste and aroma excellentI'm just not impressed with first pilsner clarity, see how it settles I guess.

Whirlfloc and clear wort has nothing to do with yeast in suspension. Time primarily, cold and finings secondarily will help drop out yeast. Serving cold may result in chill haze depending on mash regime, cold break amount, polyclar use etc but you will know if you have chill haze by allowing the beer to warm up and seeing if it clarifies.

You will know if it's yeast by pouring a glass and letting it sit for an hour. Slightly clearer beer at top, sediment at the bottom?

Anyway beer at 7 degrees with some more maturation should see you right. I believe some people gelatine fine their kegs but I don't keg so I can't recommend - just worth you maybe researching.

Pilsner generally uses a lager yeast of some description - ale yeast makes it an ale (and pointing that out makes me an al)

If you have had big temp swings in your fermentation or mainly post fermentation this is a very likely cause of a chill induced haze. Your water profile could also be influencing the clarity.
Ale yeast doesn't make Pilsners as mention, you should research the style and its techniques more and try again. Its not the easiest style to perfect, I have been at it for years with some success but mostly not.
Nev

Leave it in the keg, carbed, for at least 2 weeks. Try it every week after. You'll notice it clearing up.

Crash chilling for 1 at 1C in primary or transfer to secondary, add gelatine and drop temp to 1C for a week, then keg.

Lager yeast can take even longer.

Back