Cloudy Pale Ale kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proffs

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been putting down a couple of CPA kits to build up some stock before I start mucking around too much. So far so good but this one looks a bit sus.

Glass on left is an actual coopers pale, on right is my brew.
Recipe was:

CPA can
Box of BE2
250g DME
300g dextrose
20g galaxy & 10g cascade @ 5 min

Pitched with kit yeast and a coopers sparkling kit yeast made into a starter @ 24*
Pitched on Monday 29/4

Smells ok, a little different. tastes ok too. I did just pull it out of an esky with ice bottles before pouring this but I wouldn't have thought I stirred it that much doing this.

Any ideas? Have I got my first infection already? image.jpgimage.jpg

Looks like its really yeasty. Could it be possible that it was towards the end of the bottling and you sucked up a bit more yeast?

How different it is compared to your other brews and how different is the aroma? You may have answered your own question in regards to it being shaken up in the esky.

Yea, I'm hoping its just really yeasty. Smells and tastes ok. I've never used 2 packets of yeast before either. I've been using US-05 and had this spare CSA pack there so I thought I might as well chuck it in & see if I can finish a day early.

I'll tap a bit more later tonight and see if it settles down.

Funny thing is, I dry hopped 40g galaxy before I poured this and the top of the brew looked normal, ie not cloudy.

Let me get this right.
You pitched on Monday 29/4, and you're wondering why it's cloudy on 3/5?
That's only 5 days later.
What in blazes are you doing pouring this and worrying about the cloudiness in such a short time span?
And what did you pour it from? Surely you haven't already bottled it?
It looks flat as a tack with no carbonation whatsoever.

My advice is: PATIENCE.
Making beer does take time, and 5 days from pitching the yeast to expecting clear beer will never happen.

warra48 said:
Let me get this right.
You pitched on Monday 29/4, and you're wondering why it's cloudy on 3/5?
That's only 5 days later.
What in blazes are you doing pouring this and worrying about the cloudiness in such a short time span?
And what did you pour it from? Surely you haven't already bottled it?
It looks flat as a tack with no carbonation whatsoever.

My advice is: PATIENCE.
Making beer does take time, and 5 days from pitching the yeast to expecting clear beer will never happen.
No mate, of course I havnt bottled it. This is the first time I've used galaxy so I thought I'd have a look and see how it smells/tastes. It was poured from the fermenter. Compared to my previous brews, this was super cloudy, of which I havnt seen before so I thought I'd ask the experts.

If it's poured straight from the FV, then that's normal. Every time I take an SG reading I ditch the first few inches in the test flask (~50 mL I guess) as it's got a whole bunch of trub in it. Next time, run a bit from the tap (assuming your FV has one, if you're taking your sample from the top of the FV this doesn't apply) unitll it looks like it's running a bit clearer (don't go overboard, about 50 - 100 mL should do it) and tip it, then take another sample.

I thought you had bottled it!! Whoops missed that by heaps. Leave it a few more days or a week and it will be fine. Thought you had bottled it comparing the two glasses

Not that this is particularly important (or at all relevant to the topic of conversation), but as a scientist I can't resist the urge to say it. When comparing anything to anything, it should a be a reasonable comparison. i.e. you should use identical glasses for comparisons.

verysupple said:
If it's poured straight from the FV, then that's normal. Every time I take an SG reading I ditch the first few inches in the test flask (~50 mL I guess) as it's got a whole bunch of trub in it. Next time, run a bit from the tap (assuming your FV has one, if you're taking your sample from the top of the FV this doesn't apply) unitll it looks like it's running a bit clearer (don't go overboard, about 50 - 100 mL should do it) and tip it, then take another sample.
Yea, it's just like a reading sample. From the tap. But that glass in the photo is actually the third sample I took, thinking that I was just getting trub.

There's probably still a load of yeast still in suspension.

Latest posts

Back