cloudy beer :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
normally my beers clear out in the keg but the last two have stayed very very cloudy....

i just had a bit of a search and i may have forgot the Whirlfloc at the end of the boil

would that be the culprit?

Is it yeast or protein haze? If it's yeast, then no, if it's protein, then possibly.

Does the haze clear when the beer warms?

nope it stays cloudy

i think it's likley protien

no whirlfoc + a no chill cube might be the issue

Hey mate, if it were protein, won't it clear as the beer warms up? Odd brew without whilfloc or irish moss and never attributed cludiness to that. Maybe the hop you are using + yeast... Any different hops/yeast used these brews?

Could be starch haze. That can stick around at warmer temps.

I've read that starch haze can reduce long term stability.
Did you need an excuse to drink it?

lol i got no idea

just thought he 1st keg was cloudy but still tasted good

this brew is the same (diff brewday and recipe ) but same cloudyness

i "think" i forgot the floc on both but not sure

no matter i will struggle on drinking it...

a bit more info would help. like what yeast is it? what was the recipe mash and fermentation regime? secondary? a bit hard to really help with out a bit more info.
cheers

Maheel said:
i "think" i forgot the floc on both but not sure
Yikes, i know what i throw in my kettle, and document it aswell for reference.
maybe drink less during your brew day lol.

I've brewed the odd BIAB and haven't used Whirlfloc once or twice now and have had no issues as you describe.
It will take a little longer to clear than usual but a lot of the crap should still be gone prior to cubing it.

recipe was a LFPA or type thing
mashed at 65 for the hour
hops would have been some magnum for bittering and cascade etc
fermented on us-05
in fridge at 17c for couple of weeks and then a week a 2C
into the keg and force carbed

@ DB accusing me of drinking on the job... what are you saying ? :ph34r:

I have always believed drinking whilst brewing was essential. Mash paddle in one hand, a glass in the other. Isn't that what is described as balance?

I often forget whirfloc... That generally means about a week for the keg to clear up... I dont really care though, as long as it tastes good ;-)

I used to (and still do for certain brews) mix up gelatine and hot water, mix, chill and add to the keg before adding the fermented beer. Clear beers in a couple of days...

ben_sa said:
I often forget whirfloc... That generally means about a week for the keg to clear up... I dont really care though, as long as it tastes good ;-)

I used to (and still do for certain brews) mix up gelatine and hot water, mix, chill and add to the keg before adding the fermented beer. Clear beers in a couple of days...
I think you mean roll it gently so you can "unlock" special hidden flavors!

Latest posts

Back