Clearly Label Your Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Ive learned a valuable lesson today..

dont keep the PBW and the 5.2 containers near each other and or clearly label the lids..

p.re.t.t.y sure I just put a teaspoon of PBW into the mash :blink:

...stoopid... stoopid... stoopid <_<

Oh Bugger

dont keep the PBW and the 5.2 containers near each other and or clearly label the lids..

p.re.t.t.y sure I just put a teaspoon of PBW into the mash :blink:
You're not the first one to do exactly that. :)

...after a little bit of research and more than a bit of suspicion with a hint of 'it's still good right?' I came across this

snip from

Sodium Metasilicate

Review of Toxicological Literature

Human Data
On intact and abraded skin, sodium metasilicate (37%) in a detergent with sodium carbonate (50% w/v
aqueous) was a severe irritant. In modified soap chamber tests, sodium metasilicate had no adverse
effects (i.e., erythema and edema scores were low). In elbow crease tests and semi-occluded patch tests,
mild and temporary irritation was observed with sodium metasilicate. Ingestion of 0.5 L of colloidal
sodium metasilicate resulted in the death of an individual within one to 1.5 hours. Autopsy revealed
alkali burns in the gastric mucosa and condensed waterglass in the stomach, while microscopic
examination showed amorphous sodium metasilicate in the bronchioles and alveoli of the lungs.

from HERE

sigh.. had better go and bin it..

brew day over.

Sorry just saw your last post that you binned it and wanted to send you my deepest condolence's for your loss

I did nearly the same thing. I put Casacade instead of Centennial in my APA.

Wasn't the swap beer was it Yob.

:lol:... no.. Im pitching that one today as an alternative brew event now..

still contemplating cracking more grain and starting again..

massive faceapalm moment...

funny thing was that I thought to myself the other day how easy it would be to mix the 2 of them up and did nothing about it <_<

Ouch what a *******, sorry to hear that.

I only just labeled mine the other day thinking about that...

On the bright side, at least you didn't waste all the time on the mash, sparge and boil :)

I was making mashed potatoes for dinner last night while my brew was on the boil.

About three times as I was cutting up the spuds I went to drop them in the brew instead of the spud pot. Caught just in time.

One of the hazards of Stovetop brewing while making dinner.

About three times as I was cutting up the spuds I went to drop them in the brew instead of the spud pot. Caught just in time.

Bittering, Flavour and Aroma Spud additions?

Atleast you could have added the spuds to your mash......

I wonder what the diastatic power of a spud is?

I'll stop now.

I'll stop now.

A few spuds in the mash would probably work well. Much like adding rice, or flour I'd guess - those things are pure starch aren't they?

In the boil might have been asking a bit much from the Koppafloc.

I know we're not supposed to talk about it - but do they add an enzyme to spuds to make the "Russian Drink"?

I'll stop now.

Ask Bacchus Brewing Co. they brewed a "Mr Potato Head" beer for St Paddys Day.
Green it were too.

I know we're not supposed to talk about it - but do they add an enzyme to spuds to make the "Russian Drink"?
I've always wondered about that, some quick googling says you need enzymes. But commercially its made from malt (rye, wheat, etc), which is easier to use anyway.

Don't even think about it.

All experiments i have seen documented were hard work for very little result.

Back