Clear vinyl tube for sight glass.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Silver
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used clear vinyl tubing as a sight glass. Main concern is how it would react to boiling wort. Apparently this stuff is food grade.
Cheers
Silver

I've used it for my sight glass but it needs replacing already, will post a pic when I get home so you can see. PITA to clean properly

I'll be going with Polycarbonate tubing this time

breakbeer said:
I've used it for my sight glass but it needs replacing already, will post a pic when I get home so you can see. PITA to clean properly

I'll be going with Polycarbonate tubing this time
That's encouraging. So i assume no off flavours.

I used that clear vinyl tube as a transfer hose when I first got into brewing, it was food grade, just not rated for brew temps. After a while I had a strange taste in a couple of brews, so I tried the taste test. Transfer hot water through it, let it cool and drink it. I've never used vinyl hose since.

I've seen a couple of sight glasses using the silicone hose, it may not be clear but you can see the water level.

QldKev

Here are 2 pics of my sight glass, (and since taking them have realised how disgusting it is & replaced it before I even posted this)

2nd pic is just to show how it's attached to my pot

dirty sight glass.jpg
sight glass bulkhead.jpg

Why would you want a sight gauge on a kettle? wouldn't it be much simpler to mark off graduations on a stick and use that to measure the volume in your kettle?

browndog said:
Why would you want a sight gauge on a kettle? wouldn't it be much simpler to mark off graduations on a stick and use that to measure the volume in your kettle?
My thoughts exactly. I've got a sight glass on my HLT and a piece of dowel with 1L marks for my kettle. Works a treat and is easy to clean.

im making my 3v setup now, HLT has a Vinyl Sight Glass made for it, I'm positive it wont add and flavour as there would be stuff all water in conact with it that ends up in the brew... plus its only going to be used until i get a bigger brew pot then my old one will become the HLT and i'll get a proper sightglass from GG

Same stick idea for kettle, wouldnt want to risk anything other than my Tap in it as i know with the 2 x 15mm SS washers either side of it and silicone bakeware gaskets.... its not moving nor leaking....

Just working out what kind of hose to use for transfers between HLT-Mashtun Mashtun-Kettle Kettle-Cube

Edit--

I stretched my Vinyl tube over a poly barb that it had no chance of going over by using the missus Steam Mop the the steamer attachemnt, stretched it with pointy nose pliers and steamed the hell out of it, got it just on the barb, then steamed through the barb and used gloves to Push it on tight..... its going NO WHERE and then i put a Cable tie on it to make sure

Save yourself some heartache and ditch the vinyl. It's not right.

Even have had had cheap beer line impart a plastic taste to the beer on first use, and that is cold!

m3taL said:
im making my 3v setup now, HLT has a Vinyl Sight Glass made for it, I'm positive it wont add and flavour as there would be stuff all water in conact with it that ends up in the brew... plus its only going to be used until i get a bigger brew pot then my old one will become the HLT and i'll get a proper sightglass from GG

Same stick idea for kettle, wouldnt want to risk anything other than my Tap in it as i know with the 2 x 15mm SS washers either side of it and silicone bakeware gaskets.... its not moving nor leaking....

Just working out what kind of hose to use for transfers between HLT-Mashtun Mashtun-Kettle Kettle-Cube

Edit--

I stretched my Vinyl tube over a poly barb that it had no chance of going over by using the missus Steam Mop the the steamer attachemnt, stretched it with pointy nose pliers and steamed the hell out of it, got it just on the barb, then steamed through the barb and used gloves to Push it on tight..... its going NO WHERE and then i put a Cable tie on it to make sure
Heavy duty silicon is the ducks nuts.

I emailed the good people at POPE and they suggested not to use vinyl on anything over 40 deg C. Will go the silicone route for hoses and standard polycarb sight glass. Thanks to all for input.
Silver

Latest posts

Back