Clear Candy Syrup Vs Destrose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulpa

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im looking at a Belgian recipe that specifies clear candy syrup. Now I understand belgian candy sugar is used for its caramelised flavours and colour. I assume the clear candy syrup has not been caramelised (therefore clear).

Is there an advantage to using this or should I just used Dextrose or even cane sugar? Has anyone used the clear candy that could help me understand if there are any flavour or other benefits? Cost difference between the two is significant for the recipe Im looking at.

Thanks
Andrew.

dex and candy sugar/syrup arnt the same thing. and candy sugar has been inverted. they wont give you the same flavours. dex adds alc, no flavour and thins out a beer.

skip the dex and use candy syrup

Thanks Jez.

+1.

Where does a chap buy citric acid? Can I use lemon juice? Or any acid?

EDIT: Oops, I need to learn to read the whole article before asking questions. Will check local Coles...

One more question though:

Can anyone tell me the fermentability of a darkish candy sugar? Must be a lot less than dextrose.

decent hbs will have citric....it's also available in most supermarkets in the spice section.

dark or light should be the same. and its still highly fermentable.

I'm thinking of adding some candy sugar to my next brew while it is at high krausen.
What quantity as compared to dextrose would I use?
Would it be best/possible to dissolve the candy, then boil to sanitise before adding or just chuck it in?

Belgian candy is easy to make and makes a significant difference to the brew

It gives a toffee like taste

( which is really what it is , the old toffees your mum used to make , stick jaws )

the darker the colour the more the toffee taste

some people run it hot onto baking paper , but it sticks and is hard to get off

it can be hard to dissolve and I find it better to add the candy to a cup or two of water and bring to the boil and then add to the brew

I make it up on demand , ie only make enough for the brew , and when it reaches the desired colour add some water before it cools down , be careful it will froth up and spit , ie have an oversized pot

I make my own according to the above linked process (roughly). The acid can be anything - I used vinegar once (a tiny dash in a kilo or so of sugar and litre or so of water) which gave a nice touch to the end result. Clear syrup won't add much in the way of flavour or colour as you originally surmised but you can still make your own clear version and it will cost you<$2 + a bit of time.

As for dex vs invert/candy sugar - dextrose is pure glucose whereas invert sugar is sucrose which has been split into its respective glucose and fructose molecules. My understanding is that this action stresses the yeast and leads to potentially bad flavours so if you kindly organise the process before the yeast have to deal with it, they are very thankful.

@cm2: I'm fairly certain that both invert sugar and dextrose have a similar fermentability and therefore a similar effect on alc and thin/dryness (which is why it's often used in Belgians). Only darker, more toffee type inverts will have much of an effect on flavour (and subtle even then but well worth it).

That said there's no way I'd substitute dex for candy sugar and there's no way I'd spend exorbitant amounts on some else's product either.

With regards as to if Candi sugar is worth it and noticable in contribution to flavour, after reading 'Brew like a Monk' by Stan hieronymus, I'd say no when you are adding clear candi, just substitute it with normal cane sugar just as long as you keep the percentage no more than around 16%. I added 1kg of cane sugar to a Westmalle Triple clone recipe and there are no hints of cider like characteristics.

Buy yourself a candy thermometer and make your own Candi syrup(better than rock) if you really want to as it's pretty easy. You can't substitute Dark Candi Syrup/Rock for flavour profile so this would be a good reason to make your own as it's so bloody expensive to buy.

i agree with elton
been using plain old white sugar for years no worries. the cider stuff is an urban myth propagated by K&K brewers whose brews taste like ciders for OTHER reasons.

OTOH if you're talking dark candi, that's another story... i havent bothered to make my own toffee but the belgian candi syrup you can get from the sponsor above is well worth the $ IMO - delicious

Must admit, I'm dubious about the idea that reasonable proportions of plain sugar in a properly fermented brew will make it taste anything like cider. When I make candi sugar it's usually dark and provides a toffee chracteristic. I have no other reason to use any type of sugar in my brew most days but it's not to do with fear of apples.

Interesting posts guys. Thanks.

I will have a go at making my own clear candy. Im not convinced that I really need to but nothing to lose, right. I havent decided on the whole invert sugar argument yet. There was an article on here a while ago that argued that the actual amount of invert sugar that is produced by boiling with an acid is tiny and arguably not worth the effort. Maybe I need to make 2 batches and compare the results.

Cheers
Andrew.

i agree with elton
been using plain old white sugar for years no worries. the cider stuff is an urban myth propagated by K&K brewers whose brews taste like ciders for OTHER reasons.

OTOH if you're talking dark candi, that's another story... i havent bothered to make my own toffee but the belgian candi syrup you can get from the sponsor above is well worth the $ IMO - delicious

I agrre with this. Especially the REAL Belgian Candi Syrup. It smells and tastes and produces a result in your beer far superior to home made candi sugar.

As an aside I am drinking a bottle of Westvleteren Trappist No12 at the moment and it is magnificent.

Regards

Graeme

I agrre with this. Especially the REAL Belgian Candi Syrup. It smells and tastes and produces a result in your beer far superior to home made candi sugar.

As an aside I am drinking a bottle of Westvleteren Trappist No12 at the moment and it is magnificent.

Regards

Graeme

I'm jealous,you lucky lucky ******* :icon_cheers:

Any idea what the actual difference is (process wise)? I have had great results with homemade but if it's THAT different/superior I may need to give it a go at least once.

Any idea what the actual difference is (process wise)? I have had great results with homemade but if it's THAT different/superior I may need to give it a go at least once.

You need to buy some and you will see. I have used the dark Candi Syrup and it has a faer greater depth od flavout than you will ever get with the homemade stuff.

i bought mine from More Brew in the USA as it was not readily available here.

I believe it is now distributed in Australai by Cryer Malt so your Homebrew Store should be able to get it.
Craftbrewer also stocks it.

Check this website for details http://www.darkcandi.com/

Regards

Graeme

Edit : added website

I'd be interested in buying some and comparing it directly to my own stuff. Following individual tastings it would be worth doing a split batch - one with each sugar- and see/tasting thre difference. I'm very interested in the process if it differs massively from the sugar boiling method.

Found this interesting link: http://odeo.com/episodes/24547883-05-07-09...c-Brewing-Radio - around 5 minutes in.

I'd be interested in buying some and comparing it directly to my own stuff. Following individual tastings it would be worth doing a split batch - one with each sugar- and see/tasting thre difference. I'm very interested in the process if it differs massively from the sugar boiling method.

Found this interesting link: http://odeo.com/episodes/24547883-05-07-09...c-Brewing-Radio - around 5 minutes in.

Thanks for that link.

Di-ammonium phosphate, eh? Hmmmmm.

I used to use malt vinegar for my toffee when I was a kid.

Back