Cleaning your elements - no scrub method?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkstalen

Reaction score
I'm always looking on ways to make my life easier, especially when it comes to cleaning up after a brew day.

My current rig is a 40L aluminium pot with twin $8 kettle (2200w) elements. (I'm guessing they're nickel coated copper, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

My current cleaning regime is to boil up some standard dish washing liquid in the pot for 10 minutes, then after it's cooled down a bit, hit the elements with a nylon scrubbing pad.
It works ok, although it is a bit of a hassle getting in between the coils to get the gunk off.

I'm looking for a no-scrub method. .

Is it possible?

It's easy enough to take the elements off the pot, so I'm not worried about the aluminium of the pot reacting with anything.

Would a good soak in either PBW or Caustic Soda do the job? Or is scrubbing still required?

Any other ideas?

I can tell you i've tried proper pbw, homemade pbw and straight sodium perc. Ive tried soaking overnight and with all of these I found I still need to scrub to get the burnt on stuff off. Usually just use an old toothbrush but did a 90 minute boil last time and had to hit it with wire brush. Didnt seem to effect finish. So to answer your question I dont have an answer but thats what I have tried.

Latest posts

Back