Cleaning Your Beer Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Well today in conjunction with fitting the compensators to the taps I decided I may as well give them a clean for the first time since I bought them (6mnts ago). Well let me say that I will be increasing the frequency of this! There were some interesting lifeforms in there :eek: some even needed some prodding to get out.

Anyway its all shiny now and back to work but I am wondering if there is any kind of food grade grease etc that you should rub on some of the joints etc. The taps I have are from morebeer shown below.

tap.jpg

JasonY said:
I am wondering if there is any kind of food grade grease etc that you should rub on some of the joints etc.
I use inox mx6 for all my brewing applications.

inox homepage

One cartridge at about $15 will last you a lifetime.

JasonY said:
The taps I have are from morebeer shown below.
Just wondering, how long did it take to get your taps from morebeer.com?
I ordered some stuff from them that was supposedly shipped on the 23rd of October and I'm still waiting. I fired off an email and got no reply :(
The only conclusions I can come up with at the moment is that I've either been ripped off or they've sent it by ship.

Only took a week and a half, I chose USPS express from memory and was very impressed with the speed.

I know Asher had trouble with his mongolian super burners, apparently customs had them and recon there was no address on em so they went back to the states ....

Morebeer themselves are quite reliable I think.

JasonY said:
I chose USPS express from memory and was very impressed with the speed.
I can't remember exactly what option I chose but it was the cheaper of the two, 50 odd US dollars compared to over $100. I'd still expect at that price it would come by air.
Hmm, maybe I should just ring them.

Thunderlips
at $50 It would be surface mail, especially since it was the cheaper option. Expect a minimum of a 2 month wait.
I've ordered stuff from the US and postage was about $50 and took about 10 weeks to get here.
Sorry :(
Hoops

Sorry Jason, back to the original question
I use a food grade lubricant that came from Andale. It's a black tube with a yellow lid, probably around 50-100ml and has "Article number : GB363" on it. It is specifically designed for use with beer taps. I have had it for 5 years and there's still heaps left as you only need a tiny amount smeared on your o-rings and seals.
Hoops

Thanks Hoops will have to keep my eyes open for some next time I go to ultimate air :)

Hoops said:
Thunderlips
at $50 It would be surface mail, especially since it was the cheaper option. Expect a minimum of a 2 month wait.
Thanks Hoops.
They have a link on their site regarding shipping but it wasn't working for a long time. Now it is and it does indeed say that the cheaper option is by ship.
I'm happy now knowing that at least it should turn up.

Drawing a tangent here:

Has anyone been hit by customs on imported goods?

I remember some years ago, I ordered some stuff from the US and Customs hit me for the original purchase price, on top. What do U do? Can't send it back or let them keep it, coz It already cost plenty.

Non-beer stuff, it was. Told you it was years ago!

Weizguy said:
Has anyone been hit by customs on imported goods?
Customs will get you if you spend over a certain amount. I can't remember if it's $500 or $1000. They got me once for a digital camera I bought from the states. I had to pay $100.
My order from morebeer.com is well under $500 so I should be right.

Well I ordered over $500 wroth from morebeer and the guy marked it as a 'gift' and said it was kitchen equipt :p

That said the mass compensator order by Roach got stung for duty.

yes the compensator order got stuck with 5% duty and 10% GST. Theories abound as to why this happened - commercial quantities, using a courier instead of Aussie Post?? Luck of the draw I reckon.

The safe threshold is apparently $250, whilst anything over $1000 will incur an additional $150 for some sort of customs agent fee, on top of the duty and GST.

JasonY - reading your original post, i'm curious as to how you normally handle your taps, to try to see whether i need to clean mine.

After every key, i flush mine out with hot water and sanitiser solution. Do you flush you taps after every keg, or do you not bother?

I confess I dont' bother, they probably get a flush after 5 kegs! :eek: Now I think I will flush when I clean a new keg, nasty stuff living in there!

Latest posts

Back