Cleaning Your Beer Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I know this subject has been done to death , but

I heard this on ABC radio the other day , I personally have never heard it before , I tried it and it works a treat

Wash you glasses in water with a bit of bi-carb soda disolved in it
Now rinse in clean water with a dash of vinegar in it
rinse under a running tap and let them air dry

Don't knock it till you try it

Batz

Thanks Batz, thats how our glasses will be treated from now on, works well.

;) Ive been using this method for about 18 months now....works well..
Also my other half has been using vinegar in the dish washer for a rinse aid for ages....its cheaper than "Rinse Aid" and works better

Every 6 months or so I soak all my glasses in a weak caustic solution over night.....you can make the best beer in Australia but a dirty glass will kill it

Cheers

JWB :chug:

Vinegar top stuff. We also use it as rinse aid in dishawasher. Cheap white vinegar in 2l bottle.

Scrubbing with bicarb and rinsing with vinegar is also a good all-round cleaner. Great on cutting boards.

Am I missing something here?
Since when was using normal dishwashing detergent followed by a good rinse a problem?
Thats all I ever do and the glasses are spot on every time.

cheers

Oh Johnno ! :eek:

Detergent ! :eek:

Wash your mouth out with bicarb of soda !

Then rinse with vinegar !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm with Johno, the glasses go through the washing up first, washed in hot detergent, rinsed thoroughly in hot water then air dried. Sparkling clean. You can hold them up to the light and watch them glisten.

Never had a problem pouring a beer. Except if it is an older overcarbonated brew which throws a huge head. Then I rinse the glass in water prior to pouring to settle the head down.

Since when was using normal dishwashing detergent followed by a good rinse a problem?

dishwashing detergent leaves a film on the glass (can't recall the details off hand), this film effects the ability of the head to stick to the glass. My beers often need all the help they can get

:D

Did a quick google,

Now to Mr. Shannon's second point, on cleanliness. The phrase "beer clean" refers to cleanliness of the glassware not the beer. It means the glass is clean enough to hold a beer. This might not be as simple as it sounds.

Soap residue, food, grease from lipstick or lip balm, dust -- any of these can be present on an improperly cleaned glass and affect the enjoyment of your beer. In fact any of these will break up the head and flatten your beer quickly.

One way to tell if your glass is clean is in its rinsing. If the glass is clean, the water should run off in sheets. If it is dirty, it will break up, streak, leave spots or bubbles. Another way is to pour a beer into your glass. Pour it straight down the middle of the glass and allow a head to form. If the glass is dirty, fats or emulsifiers leftover from soap and grease, etc., will break up the foam. You'll be left with bubbles.

So how do you clean your beer glasses? Well, a straight hot-water rinse is one way. Another is unscented dishwashing liquid or an odorless, scentless, non-fat-based cleaning compound followed by a hot-water rinse. A final way, for purists I suppose, would be adding a couple of tablespoons of baking soda -- say 35 to 40 mLs -- to a sink of hot water. Use a bristle brush and really get into the glass, where beer or residue might be left, and the rim area that would have come in contact with your mouth and your date's lipstick. In any case, put the glass upside down in your dishwasher rack or dish drain. Don't towel dry: soap, oils, lint, dust -- they're all present on your towel.
http://www.vehiculepress.com/salut/questionarchive2.html

If rinsed properly there shouldn't be any detergent left on the glass. Never tried the bicarb vinegar method as I'm fine with the ordinary way.

I know this is a cardinal sin but mine go through the dishwasher and then into the freezer (somethimes I rinse) ... I am sure this impacts head retention but I just find it so easy (lazy *******) :) if I am trying to show off the beer I would clean them properly ...

I knew this would get interesting
Can I suggest that members wash a glass bi-carb and vinegar
And one how you nomally do it
Then pour two beers , good excuse to have two beers in front of you ;)

I've always used the vinegar trick. I usually get loving spouse to soak glasses in sink with a dash of white vinegar then rinse in hot water.

Ok well I put my scientific hat on and washed my glass as per the above method before filling for pint #2 for the night. Head retention and lacing is much better as I would hope. No doubt that this is a good way to keep the glasses.

As most of mine sit in the freezer for a while before use I wonder if the benefits wear off after time? I may use this as a second clean method after they come out of the dishwasher and I am looking to pour some beers with the best possible presentation. :)

JasonY.. I think the benefits are that it is more efficient at removing the residue oils... the benefits aren't going to wear off in time, not unless you store your glasses in grease so they don't rust.

I use the method I read about in Wheeler's "Homebrewing".
I use washing soda (sodium carbonate) followed by a hot water rinse.

Works wonders.

Kai said:
JasonY.. I think the benefits are that it is more efficient at removing the residue oils...
Yep gathered that, just not sure I can be bothered getting too hung up on cleaning glasses. I know this makes quite a difference to the head retention & presentation of the beer but I find I forget to clean them and they end up in the dishwasher by natural attrition :p

The beer still tastes good and that is the main thing :) I do like this way though as I can see the grease etc being nicely cleaned out! never a rusty glass at my place :p

Yep its all over :( beer in france was nothing special, got to try a few real ales in london, when I can remember their names I will post my thoughts. Was a shame to miss the Perth gathering.

Batz said:
Wash you glasses in water with a bit of bi-carb soda disolved in it
Now rinse in clean water with a dash of vinegar in it
rinse under a running tap and let them air dry

Don't knock it till you try it

Batz
[post="30325"][/post]​

For better or for worse I have been sucked into this thread. All my glasses are normally tossed into the dishwasher by the missus (I am too old for that "Politically Correct" bullshit) & must say that they have always seemed clean to me. Having said that, I am always ready to accept change & will instruct the missus to have a go at Batz's glass cleaning instructions. :beerbang: If she won't do it, then I will have to live without it. :( Don't tell me I'm a lazy sod, Pleeeeze. :ph34r:

:beer:

Back