Cleaning the Fermentasaurus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MODERN bleaches that contain sodium hypochlorite (Chrlorine) and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) - a strong solution of that swished around the inside several times, and a bit of a soak between swishes, will destroy anything. You only need 1/4 of a cup full and 1 cup of water and the foamy suds will coat every thing... leave for an hour or two and then reswish, let rest, reswish etc......

Only use it on plastic - for a long soak, if you can dechlorinate the plastic afterwards with a soak in HOT water....

Do not put HOT water in the fermentasaurus, it will shrink!
I put 60-65 degree water in mine and it started to shrink. They aren't joking when they say MAX 55 degrees.

Definitely the sodium percarbonate is good. PBW is slightly better as it contains some surfactants which also help the process. Either one of these will do the job though.

Sodium percarbonate on it's own is great for removing protein, tanins and some other types of material on the fermenters. The main issue i find is that it's completely useless against oils. Sodium percarbonate will not remove oil at all. So you might find after long term repeated use you might not be cleaning the fermenter perfectly and you gradually get a build up of some oils and other stuff that requires surfactants to remove.

Also the Fermentasaurus is very clear so any contamination becomes very visable on the wall of the fermenter.

Back