Cleaning the Fermentasaurus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NzBrewerMatt

Reaction score
Hi team, how are you guys cleaning the fermentasaurus?
I finished my first brew with this fermenter over the weekend and found cleaning to be a massive pain. I couldn't get my arm in there to clean the outside where the hops and yeast had left marks.

Are you using a specific tool to clean or a specific cleaning agent? Let me know how you guys do it!
Thanks.

You need to soak it first to soften fill with a cleaning solution and let soak have to be careful about temperature and not to scratch .

You need to soak it first to soften fill with a cleaning solution and let soak have to be careful about temperature and not to scratch .
Yeah i did think this. What would be a good cleaning product/agent to use to soak the Fermentasaurus in?

Hi, don't go using anything but a soft rag inside or you will scratch it. I hose of as much as i can with the garden hose then add a cup of sodium perc and fill with water. Come back the next day and it will just rinse off.

Hey,
I picked up one of these (actually i got 2 as it was cheaper to buy two at the special price than it was to buy one...go figure) at supercheap auto, then attached it to a garden hose fitting. If you crimp the end almost closed, it works a bit like a small pressure washer, and is bloody useful for all sorts of things, especially cleaning the dried up krausen off the fermentasaurus.
221634_00.jpg

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Blackridge-Air-Blow-Gun-30cm/221634?menuFrom=1021511

50 degree water and sodium percarbonate. Let it sit for a day and all the gunk comes off.

+2. This is what I do too.
I just use the woolies brand unscented laundry soaker, whcih is about 35% sodium perc. Works well.

Blast krausen ring
Overnight hot water unscented Napisan
Rinse
Soak bits in hot water napisan
Rinse
Starsan co2 picnic tap
Roll starsan around to contact everything
Fill

The MODERN bleaches that contain sodium hypochlorite (Chrlorine) and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) - a strong solution of that swished around the inside several times, and a bit of a soak between swishes, will destroy anything. You only need 1/4 of a cup full and 1 cup of water and the foamy suds will coat every thing... leave for an hour or two and then reswish, let rest, reswish etc......

Only use it on plastic - for a long soak, if you can dechlorinate the plastic afterwards with a soak in HOT water....

I’ve never done any of this shit....

A nylon brush. I.e. plastic on plastic works.

Also, don’t be lazy. Clean it as soon as you empty it, makes a huge difference. If you are worried about the smell afterwards, just put a bit of water and sodium percarb in the bottom until the next time you use it, works for me. Cheers

Edit Btw bleach tends to leave a taint that I’ve not been able to get rid of. Also I just use a “natural” dishwashing detergent like earthchoice immediately after emptying

Last edited:
The chemist where I was getting my sodium percarbonate from suggested using sodium perborate after I asked the question why a couple of the members of this forum had reported heat coming from the percarbonate, it should be kept in a dark fairly cool and especially dry environment.
Perborate is more stable and does the same job and only costs a few dollars more, that is what I use now.
https://sciencing.com/use-sodium-perborate-5215007.html

The chemist where I was getting my sodium percarbonate from suggested using sodium perborate after I asked the question why a couple of the members of this forum had reported heat coming from the percarbonate, it should be kept in a dark fairly cool and especially dry environment.
Perborate is more stable and does the same job and only costs a few dollars more, that is what I use now.
https://sciencing.com/use-sodium-perborate-5215007.html

Where were you getting your sodium percarbonate out of interest?

Latest posts

Back