Cleaning The Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danhutch333

Reaction score
I work FIFO between Perth / Karatha and I'm building a basic brew setup for while I'm at work.

I'm going to be using a 20L water Can (Willow) and was looking for tips on the easiest way to clean the scunge off the sides, given the opening at the top is so small.

Do you just half fill with soapy/cleaning water and shake like F$%K or have you fashioned at stick with a non-abrasive cloth on the end?

What have you done that works well for minimal effort and time?

1. Rinse with cold water untill all trub is gone.

2. Fill to just above halfway with warm water.

3. Add a cap of napisan.

4. Put on lid tight.

5. Lay on side for 12 hours (or more).

6. Turn over for another 12.

7. Empty and rinse 3 times with cold water. Dry and store with lid on loose.

(BTW - just pop the lid on loosely when fermenting)

EDIT: if you are in a real hurry - the hotter the water the quicker the scunce will dissolve. Boiling water is almost instant.

never have to use anything to wipe the inside of your fermenters or cubes. Just hose out and fill with napisan mix leave for a day or so and rinse well I tip the solution into another fermenter or cube so not wasting much but once its cleaned 2 of them I throw it out.

Any hoses, spoons or other brewing gear throw them in there to as long as you can get them back out of the cube

If you want minimal time and effort, rinse out with water, put a table spoon of napisan and a kettle of boiling water in it, close the lid and shake the shit out of it until your arms about to fall off and leave it until you're ready to brew next.

When you're ready to brew, rinse it out with water (I do it in the shower - cleans it too), then rinse out with starsan and I'm good to go.

I store all my cubes full of napisan mix when not in use. It not only cleans them up nicely, it stops mould etc growing in them. Hose most the crap out after you empty one, and refill with the napisan mix. On the day you want to use them, tip it out, starsan to sanatise and refill with yummy beer.

QldKev

After i've emptied the cube into the fermenter, i take it straight to the laundry where it gets a few rinses to get the solids out.

Then fill with hot water from the hot water output in the laundry, add a lid full of Napisan, lid on tight, give it a quick swirl and put it outside with the brewery until the next brewday.

As kev points out, it's good at stopping mould from growing, so i just leave it full to the brim.

On brewday, after flameout immediately before transferring to the cube, i empty the napisan solution, a couple of hot water rinses and use immediately.

Never had an issue.

I store all my cubes full of napisan mix when not in use. It not only cleans them up nicely, it stops mould etc growing in them. Hose most the crap out after you empty one, and refill with the napisan mix. On the day you want to use them, tip it out, starsan to sanatise and refill with yummy beer.

QldKev

Kev, do you rinse them on the day you use it?... I do the same as you but rinse on the day of use and prior to Starsan. I guess I am just hoping you say no so this will eliminate water wastage and time stuffing around ;)

Kev, do you rinse them on the day you use it?... I do the same as you but rinse on the day of use and prior to Starsan. I guess I am just hoping you say no so this will eliminate water wastage and time stuffing around ;)

Nope, same as Big Nath I always rinse the main solids etc up front, plus another rinse on brew day. I probably don't need the starsan step I do, I just feel safer dumping 1.5ml starsan in there with a bit of water and a shake and leave for 10mins before using to be safe.

QldKev

Excellent!

Thanks for the tips guys.

An easy brew day with an equally easy clean up makes for a happy worker.

With great beer to boot :D

Is there anything wrong with leaving sanitizer inside cubes and fermenters for very long periods between brews, as long as they can vent?

I've had to stop brewing for over 12months and have all my gear cleaned and sitting in storage all with sanitizer inside...

Cheers,
Shaun....

p.s. Sorry for the hijack :)

I do similar to Nick, but only with a few litres of boiling water, shake the shit out of it (making sure to vent pressure), then tip it upside down to soak.

Nope, same as Big Nath I always rinse the main solids etc up front, plus another rinse on brew day. I probably don't need the starsan step I do, I just feel safer dumping 1.5ml starsan in there with a bit of water and a shake and leave for 10mins before using to be safe.

QldKev

Sorry mate, I'm confused. Question was, "do you rinse them on the day you use them?", you said nope but then go on to say "plus another rinse on brew day". I guess I could have been a little more specific by indicating the day you use them was meant to be, brew day. :huh:
Therefore, I assume you do rinse them prior to applying starsan on brew day. Bummer, I was hoping I might have been able to get away without having to do it.

yes you need to rinse the napisan or sodium perc out and rinse it well then use sanitiser but as said the sodium perc is a sanitiser if used right but leaving it soak in it I wouldnt trust it and something like starsan is great and 1lt and 1.5ml aint worth worrying about

Every time I read this thread title, I visualise the following...

cleaning_the_cube.jpg

I rinse my cubes immediately after emptying, then leave with about a L or 2 of water in them, then chuck in a camden tablet and seal. Keeps them free of mold etc.

When its time to brew again, rinse a few times, fill with a 0.5L of starsan, shake them during the brew...

drain then fill

(4 17L cubes per brew)

QldKev
+1 for this method, works a treat, been doin it for ever and keeps the entire inside surface of the cubes absolutely spotless.
I also do this with my fermenters.
I only rinse a couple of times with water before filling. Never had an infection.

Your cube can be your fermenter. Easier again. Works a treat.
Mate I done a 19litre batch of Irish Red last week in a 30 litre fermenter so it had ample Krauzen room...........And ended up with a fridge full of yeast from the downright ridiculous Krauzen from a 1469.
Maybe for lagers......... I might give it a try on one.

Back