Cleaning Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyedwards

Reaction score
I need to clean the part indicated in the photo.

It is the screw where the tap joins. There is beer in it and I cannot get a rag in there to clean it out. Taking the font off the fridge is not an option.

Thoughts/ Suggestions?

tap1.jpg

Yeh you can't go past the toothbrush. I have one in my tap cleaning kit.

Yeh you can't go past the toothbrush. I have one in my tap cleaning kit.

I keep a draw of disposables purloined from hotels/motels, whenever SWMBO throws out the toothbrush I keep in the laundry (cleaning threads, NC cube lids etc), or I snap one... i just grab another :)

people might laugh PLAIN toothpaste is good also for cleaning ..it's mild abrasive...cleans more than teeth..

I keep a DRAWER of disposables purloined from hotels/motels, whenever SWMBO throws out the toothbrush I keep in the laundry (cleaning threads, NC cube lids etc), or I snap one... i just grab another :)

Homebrew shops (CB) stock small bottle brushes which do the job. However a mix of 100ml of white vinegar and 100ml of unscented bleach in 2.5L water in a spraybottle is a good standby, along with starsan in a spraybottle. Use the Vinegatr/Bleach with a toothbrush as has been mentioned previously.

Add 2L of Bleach/Vinegar solution to a keg and push through a litre or so, then wait while all lines and taps have time to sterilise. Now take your taps apart and soak in a container of vinegar/bleach for an hour then a 30 bath in Starsan solution. Reassemble and serve, am sure you will notice a fresh beer flavour/aroma.

Chees,

Screwy

However a mix of 100ml of white vinegar and 100ml of unscented bleach in 2.5L water in a spraybottle is a good standby, along with starsan in a spraybottle. Use the Vinegatr/Bleach with a toothbrush as has been mentioned previously.
Just be very careful and do this in a well ventilated area
vinegar + bleach = chlorine gas

people might laugh PLAIN toothpaste is good also for cleaning ..it's mild abrasive...cleans more than teeth..

Polishes small scratches out of your car's paint work too.

Just be very careful and do this in a well ventilated area
vinegar + bleach = chlorine gas

Yes, should have added a disclaimer to my post!

I splash the shit around everywhere, make up 5L batches and use it to mop out the brewery, clean the outside of the keggerator, and inside of fridges and freezers. Squirt it up the tap nozzles, squirt it into the tap nozzle covers before replacing them. I spray my hoses, fittings, chiller and hands with it. It's frikking dangerous stuff!!! Not breathing in while using it may be an option, but may be even more of a risk to your health!!!

Screwy

A little while back I noticed my taps were pouring with a bit of debris in the beer. So I pulled them apart and they were pretty much clogged with yeast and stuff. Prob should have cleaned them a bit earlier........... :ph34r: But I put all the parts in a cup of sodium percarbonate and water over night. They came out perfectly clean . No scrubbing needed. I have also been keeping a bottle of sodium percarbonate/water mix on the fridge, when Ive finished pouring beer for the session I spray the tap inside the nossle and out and the drip tray. Keeps everything nice and clean and ready for next use. Removes stains. Love the stuff. Just have to tip out the beer from the first bit of the next pour , but its usually flat from the line anyway. :drinks:
So maybe if you spray the tap with a mix of the stuff, it might dissolve and dislodge the crud in the screw thread?

Back