Cleaning Plastic Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can get it in brissie, but from where i live, it's either $10 tolls or a 2 day odyssey to get there (eg craftbrewer - wrong side of the river).
so just need to look around a bit more or pay either the toll or the courier.
Also I replied to the wrong reply earlier, meant to reply to this one

Brewcraft in North Lakes stock it. Depending on where you live you could also try either country brewer in Stafford or the brew shed in Strathpine. Hoppy days is Virginia only stock pure sodium percarbonate.
lhbs is hoppy days, live in wooloowin, so stafford is good. cheers

I use (UK) Chemipro for bottles but only hot water and elbow grease for my stainless steel fermenters..

A mate proudly showed me his new plastic taps, solid black.
I shake my head and show him my tap cleaning jar, holding a white tap up to the light you can clearly see the gunge inside it, which leads you to remove it from the fermenter, whereupon you discover the gunge in the threads of both tap and fermenter.
My process: remove tap, brush out the threads on the fermenter and copiously spray with starsan, put the tap in boiling water to soften, using towel/gloves and superhuman effort pull tap apart, brush out any crud and store the two parts in a jar full of starsan.
When needed, reassemble the tap using food grade silicon lube, if you omit the lube the tap WILL! drip.
Not saying the black taps are bad, just if we can't see it the assumption is that it's clean.
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, just worth stressing imho.
btw, after 2 hrs of trying to pull a tap apart (please don't use the you tube method of using a screwdriver and banging it on a bench)
Please send $200.00 to "Grmblz @ I will take your money" for a free video on how to do it. Spoiler alert, it uses vice grips. ;)

A mate proudly showed me his new plastic taps, solid black.
I shake my head and show him my tap cleaning jar, holding a white tap up to the light you can clearly see the gunge inside it, which leads you to remove it from the fermenter, whereupon you discover the gunge in the threads of both tap and fermenter.
My process: remove tap, brush out the threads on the fermenter and copiously spray with starsan, put the tap in boiling water to soften, using towel/gloves and superhuman effort pull tap apart, brush out any crud and store the two parts in a jar full of starsan.
When needed, reassemble the tap using food grade silicon lube, if you omit the lube the tap WILL! drip.
Not saying the black taps are bad, just if we can't see it the assumption is that it's clean.
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, just worth stressing imho.
btw, after 2 hrs of trying to pull a tap apart (please don't use the you tube method of using a screwdriver and banging it on a bench)
Please send $200.00 to "Grmblz @ I will take your money" for a free video on how to do it. Spoiler alert, it uses vice grips. ;)

Why not bang the tap apart with another tool. I don't use a screw driver but a wooden spoon fits perfectly.

Or do I need to pay you the $200 to find out 😂

Yep a wooden dowel/spoon would be fine I think, the vid I saw used a philips screwdriver, can only imagine the scratches it creates.
I have a pair of vice grips and grip the handle with them, then pull the things apart, not too hard after a quick soak in boiling water and no danger of any internal damage. Although the dowel/spoon method sounds a lot easier. Damn, gotta give refunds now.

Although the dowel/spoon method sounds a lot easier. Damn, gotta give refunds now.
i was thinking about you and wooden spoons, and i was thinking of sending you the 200 hard earneds.
so i think you should think about refunding my cheque what i was honestly sending.., :Boomerang:

Maaate, I put the cheque in the post last week, honest I did.
As for wooden spoons I still shudder just thinking about them, my mom has a lot to answer for.:eek:

Back