Cleaning Pitted Aluminium

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
has anyone got a soaking solution that might clean up old aluminium?

tried PBW, didn't do the same wonderful job it does on stainless.

thinking about vinegar and bi carb...

any other suggestions?

cheers

if its pitted not sure what you can do. I clean mine with normal water and a dish cloth if its really stuck on wet the dish cloth in sodium perc and rinse as quick as I can. I am not sure what you can use on alloy but if I do use anything I wash it off as quick as I can.

Cleaning pitted aluminium? As in pitting where the surface has been damaged to some extent? If so, it's not as though you can clean it, it's damaged.

if theres any loose like matter a scourer (not stailess wool - too harsh) will get the majority of junk off then once shes clean fill her up with water and boil for an hour, this will give it an oxidation thingy layer(the pot will take on a brown tea like colour). from there your good to go. other things to do, soak it in napisan overnight to get rid of any organic matter. starsan as an acid wash..

If you going to use it with food, don't. Pitting usually is the result of corrosion. You can mechanically move it (grind it out). Or some of the alkalyne mag wheel cleaners do a good job but then you would need to remove the cleener.

Try boiling something acidic like pineapple or citrus skins or citric acid

Back