Cleaning Out Olive Barrels For Grain Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippy

Reaction score
I've just picked up two 200L olive barrels for bulk grain storage. They have a pretty strong smell of pickled olives which I'm trying to get out as much as I possibly can.
I've filled with about 40-50L of hot water and a generous amount of dishwasher detergent , rolled around, emptied and rinsed with hot water. I've done this twice to each barrel and then added a shitload of sodium perc dissolved in hot water and half filled the barrels. I will soak for a while then turn upside down and soak the top half, then rinse in hot water and dry.
My question to anyone using these for grain storage is, will this be adequate? Also, has anyone had issues with the smell permeating into their grain?
I will most likely line the barrels with heavy duty bin bags and store the grain in the bag they came in, so I'm hoping it should be fine. Some reassurance from brewers using these would be nice though.

I gave mine a similar treatment and just let them air out on the back porch until I was happy with the smell... took several weeks, but I got there.

brendo said:
I gave mine a similar treatment and just let them air out on the back porch until I was happy with the smell... took several weeks, but I got there.
Ok thanks, so some patience is required then.

I didn't do a thing to mine, but it doesn't smell, I don't think, mmmmmmmmm.

I don't use the barrels but this might help - Detergents generally don't do much to deodorise, you need something else. White Vinegar or Bi-carb Soda or my personal favourite the shitty vodka we confiscated off my wife's underage cousin one night are the ticket. Give it a good wipe out with one of them and let them dry before giving them a rinse. Fixes most smells.

Thanks for the suggestions Guy. I don't have any shitty vodka but will definitely give the others a go.

Latest posts

Back