Cleaning old keg fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiejoes

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some help with some old mytton kegs I was gifted. The kegs themselves were easy a quick rinse and they came up all shinny. The problem I'm having is with the posts which have the accumulated gunk of the ages crusted on them. I've already done a whole lot of scrubbing and soaking in both hot and cold keg cleaner. Next up is to borrow a dremmel or similar to get into all the nooks and crannies I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything else that might make life easier before I invest anymore elbow grease. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393118736.525144.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1393118757.988097.jpg

Pbw or napisan. Not sure what keg cleaner would be but I haven't found anything yet that a few days of unscented napisan can't fix.

Straggly enough I just happened to pickup some napisan this morning, what concentration would you recommend?

I find my little stainless steel espresso machine brush works a treat, looks like an oversized tooth brush with ss bristles cost about $12-14 from memory.
Mark

Got mine from a local company - Austins
The larger steam wand brush is good for the inside of the post, I'm sure they are available lots of places
M

Eddiejoes said:
Straggly enough I just happened to pickup some napisan this morning, what concentration would you recommend?
Generally recommended is 1 tsp for 1 litre of hot (70'C) water, but you can go as much as you want - just have to rinse very well.

Yeah I just sprinkle a bit over the top. From ny limited understanding it shouldn't cause any issues as long as you rinse well.

Had decent success on similar fitting recently using Barkeepers Friend (contains oxalic acid) and an old tooth brush. Soak over night then give scrub.

Back