Cleaning Of A Filter Disaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatwhat

Reaction score
So i am thinking that i have just ruined my 1 micron absolute filter? I dry hoped a brew that i recently did without a hop bag..... The hops, 30 grams of suspended in the brew and didn't seem to settle with a couple days of cold crashing. Great excuse for buying a filter i thought. The beer filtered well into the serving keg but i am now left with one very dirty and clogged up filter. any way to clean up this disaster of a filter? I backwashed the cartridge but am still left with an impressive amount of matter lodged in the fins.

Thoughts?

IMG_1140.jpg

So i am thinking that i have just ruined my 1 micron absolute filter? I dry hoped a brew that i recently did without a hop bag..... The hops, 30 grams of suspended in the brew and didn't seem to settle with a couple days of cold crashing. Great excuse for buying a filter i thought. The beer filtered well into the serving keg but i am now left with one very dirty and clogged up filter. any way to clean up this disaster of a filter? I backwashed the cartridge but am still left with an impressive amount of matter lodged in the fins.

Thoughts?

I did this too... I soaked the filter in napisan and warm water for 24 hours and then just kept flushing it with cold water until it was clear...

I did this too... I soaked the filter in napisan and warm water for 24 hours and then just kept flushing it with cold water until it was clear...

My only problem is I have the beer filter kit Mk2 from Craft Brewer and it has a propensity to leak from the base (no matter how hard I tighten it up), even at stupidly low pressures like 20psi...

I've been meaning to chat to someone about it there next time I drop in (probably early august when I move to Brisbane fulltime)...

If you look at the picture on their website you can see the black washer in there at the base of the thread? Normally a small amount of lube on that does the trick, but yeah, if you have no washer that's trouble :huh:

Soak in Sodium Perc or PBW for 24 hours, then back wash or simply rinse under the tap.

Arrr so it is possible. have in some nappy san now, see how i go with the flush.

good luck with the washer

Washer? What washer??? Mine didn't come with one...

AND I THINK THE PENNY HAS DROPPED...

I have found that backwashing the filter assemble before disassembly after filtering blasts hops debris into behind the plastic structure and makes it hard to clean. Done this twice and now I never back wash and cleaning is a overnight soak in napisan. Not a week soak trying to get that crap out of behind the plastic parts.

Arrr so it is possible. have in some nappy san now, see how i go with the flush.

good luck with the washer

By the look of the picture in your post the filter cartridge is the type with the plastic body around the outside of the element which covers most of the filter paper.
My son had one of these and they are very difficult to clean compared to the type that has the pleated paper exposed with no outer casing.
He threw the enclosed one and bought an open one and he has no more problems.
I think the type that you have are a bit cheaper than the open ones.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=723

this type is the open one.

Cheers

Edit: added link

My only problem is I have the beer filter kit Mk2 from Craft Brewer and it has a propensity to leak from the base (no matter how hard I tighten it up), even at stupidly low pressures like 20psi...

I've been meaning to chat to someone about it there next time I drop in (probably early august when I move to Brisbane fulltime)...

I have found that using pressure to filter my beer shortened the life of the filter greatly, plus as the filter starts to become clogged as it is meant to do while filtering, pressure will force the filtered crud/yeast/hops/etc into your beer.
Gravity is by far a lot easier on your filter and will extend the cartridge life by many times.
I have made up a cube support from an old milk crate :ph34r: that does the job well.

IMG_0277.JPG

This angle gives enough flow if the milk crate and the filter are placed above the keg.
Of course you will still need the o ring seal.

Cheers

By the look of the picture in your post the filter cartridge is the type with the plastic body around the outside of the element which covers most of the filter paper.
My son had one of these and they are very difficult to clean compared to the type that has the pleated paper exposed with no outer casing.
He threw the enclosed one and bought an open one and he has no more problems.
I think the type that you have are a bit cheaper than the open ones.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=723

this type is the open one.

Cheers

Edit: added link

Update.

After 2 x 24 hour soaks the debris is still well wedged behind the plastic. Lesson learnt, I'm off to get a more suitable filter.

Tip for young players. "Avoid cheap filters with plastic housing like the plague".

I have found that using pressure to filter my beer shortened the life of the filter greatly, plus as the filter starts to become clogged as it is meant to do while filtering, pressure will force the filtered crud/yeast/hops/etc into your beer.
Gravity is by far a lot easier on your filter and will extend the cartridge life by many times.
I have made up a cube support from an old milk crate :ph34r: that does the job well.

View attachment 55464

This angle gives enough flow if the milk crate and the filter are placed above the keg.
Of course you will still need the o ring seal.

Cheers

You need to add that to the ghetto gear thread :)

Back